London (change)
Today 10°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
8 messages
26/11/2013 at 16:56

I'm reading a lot of conflicting advice about planting these out.  Has anyone planted them in the border over winter and how hardy where they. I don't want to take up room in the greenhouse if it's not nescessary. I've not grown them before.

26/11/2013 at 17:11

I don't know if mine were Brompton, but they were stocks and they didn't make it. The only stock I have ever successfully grown was the annual night scented one. And they weren't that good.

26/11/2013 at 17:18

Brompton Stocks are grown as perennials but need winter protection in most parts of the UK - I'd keep them in a cool greenhouse.  

They used sometimes to be brought on to flower in the winter by keeping them in a heated greenhouse - providing gorgeous scented flowers through the winter for decorating the Big House.  

26/11/2013 at 19:31

Izzy, I always grow stocks over winter. 

I don't know how hardy they are elsewhere but for me they provide good colour and lovely scent on fairly large grey bushes into the spring.  For some reason mine this year are either white or purple......love the white ones and I think the scent is stronger. They make nice addition to wallflowers or any other planting you may have.

I think there will be a problem if growing on acid soil........suggest adding lime or adding mpc around the roots at plantImg time 

If your plants are in the greenhouse now I would hesitate in plantImg out now.  It's pretty cold at moment.  However, if you have some fleece I would cover for a while to help them acclimatise.  Avoid wet soils too I think .  Are your plants fairly large or are they still seedlings?  Would plant seedlings out in spring

27/11/2013 at 10:17

I love the scent of these when I'm in the supermarket, so I thought I'd try growing them. At the moment they're against the house wall in 3"pots. I've not tested my soil, one of the things I never get round to, but I grow Rhododendrons and also a lot of Dianthus and they are all healthy.

27/11/2013 at 12:46

Izzy

You do not have the ideal soil for stocks.  They are highly susceptible to a disease called club root.   Acidic soils...like yours.....are a problem for stocks

So......either add some lime ( can't grow Rhodos etc there though then) or plant in a hole generously filled with multipurpose compost

04/12/2013 at 16:24

I grow them and for me they're short lived perennials. I too leave them out over the winter time in a well drained flower bed and have one with a couple of small flowers now. I like the shape and colour of their leaves even if they're not in flower.

In late winter/early spring they'll give good colour and flowers with a lovely scent. I usually grow a Bromptom mix. I've grown them in pots although they've not done as well as in the ground 'tho they are more sheltered.

04/12/2013 at 17:11

Ahhhhhh!! Bromton stocks, ostrich plume asters, London pride, golden rod, calendulas.....Memories!  

www.wikihow.com/Grow-Stock-Flowers

email image
8 messages