Start a new thread

When is the best time to prune broom and how hard do I prune it. Seed heads forming now and bushes a good 2 metres wide (1 metre high) and only 2yrs old. Did not touch them last year but now they are taking over despite being stunning when in flower.

Dovefromabove

Don't think broom likes being pruned.  My understanding is that they're not long-lived plants anyway, so let them do their thing and then when they peg out you can replace them. 

ah, going to disagree with the Dove....guess I wont get access to her convertible now 

I prune immediately after flowering....actually just before as flowers fade.  I remove all flowered wood and then go further into green wood.  It keeps plant compact and more floriferous for next year.

When I get a new broom I try to buy small and prune back reasonably hard. Then out of flower it still looks a good evergreen mound  

in your case biofreak, remove those seed heads asap and just into green wood but not as hard as I would have done since your bushes were not pruned last year.  Do not enter into old wood....your broom will prob die if you do

Dovefromabove

Happy to learn Verdun - the only brooms I've been responsible for were in my Aged Ps' garden, and given that Ma had never pruned them as she'd been told they would sulk, I left well alone.  

Sounds like 'start as you mean to go on' is the way to treat them. 

So I can borrow convertible again, then? 

Advertisement

Fleurisa

I do what Verdun says too

Fairygirl

I do too -  when I remember. Which reminds me - I haven't done my white one...

I promise I'll do it later. Could do with a convertible today - scorchio here  

Dovefromabove
Verdun wrote (see)

So I can borrow convertible again, then? 

Of course Verdun - you're very welcome  but this time can you vac the boot out when you've finished with it - it's still full of compost and leaves and you're the only one who carries plants in it 

artjak

I read that you cut broom back by a third straight after flowering; have done this 2 years running with mine and as Vernon says - you end up with a neat green shape.

Great news - Thank you, will get out the GIANT pruners, my white broom The Bride were stunning again this year, but I really don't want 10million babies!!

My partner pruned a broom the only trouble now is

its got no bristles left on it so its her excuse not to clean up LOL