Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Brugmansia - Angel's Trumpet

I have an Angel's trumpet (not sure what colour yet) I was given it last year and it grew very well but never flowered as my darling son kick a football at it. This year it has grown nicely and has lots of new leaves. Over the last week the bottom row of leaves have been wilting and dropping off, it is still growing and throwing out new leaves.

I have it in a pot in the bay window of my kitchen by the door, it is a lovely warm and sunny spot even in winter. I am lost as to what to do with it, does anyone have any experience?

I shall go and talk a quick pic.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

sara, this is a question that I'm sure Fidgetbones will answer. image

Mine is now planted out in the garden having been grown from a stem given to me, it already has three small trumpet pods on.  

• sara haywoodsara haywood Posts: 143

From the front (with the keep out cat sticks)

From the back with the wilting leaves

KEF where do you live? The lady that gave it to me said it was too cold in London to have it growing outdoors.

Oooo just seen S. Yorks (my family all from around there, Dinnington, Thurcroft, South Anston) So I am thinking that if you can plant it then so can I!

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Stick it in the soil in a sunny position.   Feed it,water it. Keep the cat and kids away from it. The bottom leaves often do drop off as the plant grows.

It wont survive outside in winter but you can easily root  a foot long cutting in water over winter in the window bottom.

• InglezinhoInglezinho Posts: 568

As it is not hardy in the UK you will need to grow it in a large pot. We have a couple in our garden here in Brazil but I can't say I find them very attractive when not in flower.

Everyone likes butterflies. Nobody likes caterpillars.

Thank you Fidgetbones, as it didn't flower last year in the pot I shall give it a go. 

Inglezinho, It hasn't done too well in the pot either, but I actually like green foliage so I am not too upset.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Sara it was grow as Fidgetbones says and planted outside 2 weeks ago after being hardenend off in the greenhouse and then outside whilst in a pot. image

Also Sara,  Hi to a fellow Yorkie image

Hi Inglezinho image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

I have one planted outside now in the flowerbed, and I have rooted cuttings as back up to overwinter.

See my avatar. This was in the soil,in September.

What I would give to have that!!! Beautiful. *wanders off to looking up rooted cuttings* I would like to try it