Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Brunnera macrophyla 'Jack Frost'.

Hi guys, Anyone got some experience with these? Need some advice on care. Thanks, Justin

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

shade, or mostly shade, and not too dry for best effectimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Thanks! Mine have come up really tiny leaved, whereas others I've seen nearby are much bigger already. Any ideas why?
  • Yeah the first few leaves that come up are usually very small i think this is normal, at least it happens for both of mine.,

• Thanks guys! Can these be grown from seed?
  • Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

They grow best from rhizomes - if you dig down where some grows you can take some of the thick roots and it should grow - pretty invasive. Leaves grow largest in semi-shade. They do grow from seed - should be flowering now, so seeds in a few months.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Mine seed like mad but Jack Frost was only Jack Frost in the first plant. They become less like it with every generation and after about 20 years of seeding on they're just a bit variegated.

Much as you'd expect really but if you want a colony of Jack Frost, propagate as blairs suggests.

I prefer the species tbh, not that keen on a lot of variegation

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • If anyone is collecting seed from

Theirs this year, I'd love some please image Will be more than happy to pay!
  • Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

I love these but I'd like to know if they are slug bait. I don't want to spend a lot of money on plants that are notoriously attractive to molluscs.