London (change)
Today 18°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 35 messages
03/02/2013 at 14:48
I have 2 buddleia plants currently in greenhouse and planning to create a new bed for these and various other things, am wondering whether they will need protection at all ...mainly wind I'm concerned about as they will get a battering being an exposed garden. Also are they better against something like trellis or ok stand alone.
03/02/2013 at 14:51

You cannot kill a buddleia-I have seen the growing wild on top of buildings-would not worry about the wind once they are established

03/02/2013 at 14:52
Oh good news, thanks .
03/02/2013 at 15:09
Are buddleia in small pots or are they reasonably large? Best in the garden outside. Tough as old boots but if very small plants I,would pot on and plant out bit later
03/02/2013 at 15:28
One is about a foot and half high , other smaller a foot. I shall pot on first wouldn't want to terrify them in the ground yet
Ok to pot on now ? , then leave outside ? One is new plant bought other day, other bought autumn only brought into greenhouse as was buried in foot of snow.
03/02/2013 at 15:32

Would not have bought it inside-doesn't need protection

03/02/2013 at 15:36
I wasn't sure so opted for the be safe approach
03/02/2013 at 15:40
Pot on if they have outgrown fheir pots, leave in greenhouse for short while them put them outside. However, if you,think they are not pot bound leave them outside during the day and bring them in night time to acclimatise. (you have softened them up a bit bringing them in so you need to "harden" them off a bit)
03/02/2013 at 15:57

I think they do need bigger pots. Greenhouse is cold  but i will let them loose outside.

03/02/2013 at 16:56

Are these the tough common or garden buddleias or a posh cultivar? As Sotongeoff says, you can't kill buddleias and the ordinary garden types can withstand terrible conditions and respond well to fierce pruning. If you let them go on unpruned, they will get leggy but if you cut them back really hard they will double up and become a much better shape. I've got one that I'm training into a standard at the moment, because I don't have room for it as a shrub. It does not seem to mind how much I chop it about. They are great plants.

03/02/2013 at 17:51
Standard GC ones, dark knight and pink delight.
03/02/2013 at 18:58

Hi bunny, I was given some rooted cuttings end of last summer. Kept them in pots for a while outside but put them in the ground in the Autumn. They have survived the snow and look like they are starting to grow. They are tough.

Do you know where they are going to go?

03/02/2013 at 19:07

Into a new bed (not dug yet) so when weather has warmed

03/02/2013 at 20:19

Sounds good I have the dark knight and a pale pink one too.  Looking forward to seeing them grow into useful screens for me and food for the butterflies.

03/02/2013 at 20:31
Buddleia Harlequin is a good variegated variety. Anyone grow it? Last year I bought a small buddleia from lidls in late winter. Although it is hardy I potted it twice before plantIng out. It grew .5 feet tall with plenty of purple flowers. For the first potting I left it in greenhouse ...for the second (it grew very fast) potting I put it outside. Protected young plants, hardy or not, grow better than those left to fend for themselves outside and will outperform them in their first year.
03/02/2013 at 20:39
Hollie hock it will be a bed to screen deck from neighbours a little and will be able to see from huge liv rm window, hope to be spotting butterflies

That's a nice buddleia too Verdun , I'm new to these plants but always admired my parents one.
04/02/2013 at 07:57

Good comment, Verdun. I'll remember your advice.  My buddleia is a common-or-garden blue one that I grew from seed. I planted several seeds and they all germinated and grew fast so that I ended up having to throw some away. I have done most things on the cheap but am realising that it is better to invest a bit more and get quality varieties.  

04/02/2013 at 08:29
Morning gardening grandma, I agree that quality is important. I would rather have a good variety now than a lot of not so good ones. Gradually then you end up with a better quality garden. Good plants arent necessarily much more ezpensive
04/02/2013 at 19:22

Our buddleias have all been cultivated from wild growing ones we have found in athe areas around us - we have the most fantastic deep purple one and a white one, The council keep hacking back the white one which is growing in a fenced off bit along a main road but it keeps coming back every year  I love this plant and so do the bees and butterflies

04/02/2013 at 19:49
Well done chilli lover , like the sound of those
1 to 20 of 35 messages