London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
10 messages
18/09/2013 at 17:31

Hi all, I've acquired some cutting material from Buddleia colvilei. How would I best treat it? The wood is fairly mature but probably not quite hardwood.  

18/09/2013 at 19:00

I love the word "acquired"

Is that the one with slightly furry leaves? I've never grown in but most buddleias I have acquired,  I shove it in a gritty compost with a dab of rooting powder. If its got furry leaves I would not cover with a plastic bag, as I think condensation would cause rot.

A buddlei globosa I acquired while out walking  next doors dog,is doing ok, nearly ready for a final home.

18/09/2013 at 19:59

This one was acquired in the presence of it's owner fb. He says it's not as hardy as some, he's got it in a sheltered place. I'll set as you suggest with a view to bringing it indoors if it gets very cold perhaps?. My GH is cold. Keeping the cuttings in a glass of water on the kitchen windowsill til tomorrow, it was dark when I got them home

I'd like to have a few different buddleia species. I've grown B. loricata from seed this year. Don't think that's too hardy either.

18/09/2013 at 20:12

Burncoose list it as on the tender side, so I have never tried it this far north, even though I have had a lot of different buddlejas over the years.

I seem to be ok with davidii cultivars- pink, white, nanho blue, dartmoor, harlequin (weak), and globosa and x weyerana, and alternifolia.

I found B. fallowiana pretty, but weak and I lost it.

The butterflies seem to prefer the wild pale purple  davidii type, in preference to the other colours.

18/09/2013 at 20:15

I doubt if we're much warmer than you and it may be daft to be growing them but I like producing plants. I could fiddle around propagating for hours

18/09/2013 at 20:33

I have a lot of plants that started out as small cuttings. My grandmother started me off. She grew an entire hedge of lavender by just pushing in cuttings in a line, taken from a bush a neighbour had discarded. She did have very sandy soil, so that probably helped. I just thought it was amazing.

18/09/2013 at 20:37

Maybe  B. colvilei would grow in a pot, and then have the shelter of the cold greenhouse in winter. It does look a beautiful flower. Its supposed to be a bit hardier as it gets bigger, so maybe plant it out second year?

18/09/2013 at 20:41

Yes, that could work. I like to have a few pots around, with something a bit different in them. I'm hoping these will take, my record with cuttings isn't great

18/09/2013 at 20:46

Maybe a bit of bottom heat?. Have you got a plug in propagator, with the large dome top?

18/09/2013 at 20:50

I have, hadn't thought of that. Haven't  used it for years but expect it still works. Thanks for reminding me. Maybe I'll put the Bupleurum fruitcosum cuttings in there as well

email image
10 messages