London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
13 messages
26/11/2013 at 19:47

As already mentioned in a recent post, I bought three buddleja 'buzz' plug plants last spring. The grew like bamboo and flowered. I successfully took cuttings and they are about 8in high, giving me the 'V' sign. I fear they are going to grow 'leggy' too.

How do I get them nice and bushy like the one on page 120 in Decembers GW mag?

26/11/2013 at 20:20

Hello marklikesbees

I would just leave them as they are now.  Come the spring I would pot on into bigger pots and they will grow away vigorously.  When they do I would cut back each of those two stems at least half way.  Shoots will then form.  I would plant out then or pot on again and prune again to encourage another set of shoots.  You will then have a nice bushy plant.  

26/11/2013 at 20:24

prune back in spring to just above a couple of buds on each stem, that will double the number of stems. Next time cut each of the new stems back to a couple of buds and it will double again

26/11/2013 at 20:36

OK thanks guys,

26/11/2013 at 20:46

Snap nut 

27/11/2013 at 14:05

I have several of the Buzzes! I take about a third off about now then cut down to healthy new growth in Spring, leaving about 3 to 6" on the stems. They will get bushier every year.

I have had them in large pots for 3 years now, and in the garden for just a year and I do find that they grow much more vigorously in the garden. Also my garden planted Buzzes produced many more flowers, and for a longer period than the potted plants. They were one of the very last plants in flower this October.

The other thing worth noting is that they easily form strong new plants from cuttings. I just nip off a fresh new silvery bud when they are a couple of inches long, and stick it in all purpose compost and they grow away quickly.

Interestingly I have never had any success with the ivory buzz, but the magentas and blues are strong plants for me.

27/11/2013 at 14:49

Thanks Lancashire Lass

Interesting what you say about the cuttings, my white one, the cutting just rotted but the magenta ones shot up, I was very encouraged how they took.

Sadly the blue never made it to adulthood, the plug plant just gave up.

27/11/2013 at 21:42

I have 3 Buzzes, all delivered as plug plants early last year as freebies, just paying p&p.  The ivory one, which is planted in a sunny border by the house, has been beautiful with so many flowers and has still not dropped its leaves.  The other two, which are purple, are in pots and haven't done as well, so I will be putting them both in the borders next year.   I will definitely take cuttings from the ivory one.

28/11/2013 at 09:07

Hmmmm, another possibility for the front border 

28/11/2013 at 12:21

They are superb butterfly attracters! And because they flower mid to late Summer and into Autumn, they bring insects into the garden when many other plants have stopped blooming.

28/11/2013 at 13:07

Yes, a winner all round, and one of my favourite stars in the garden this summer.

28/11/2013 at 13:09

I have one of these - but think it may have been mislabelled!

Planted it ito my border this year and it was over 6ft tall - will need to rehome it somewhere more suitable as the flowers looked and smelled lovely, and were covered in beneficial insects!

28/11/2013 at 20:32

Rhonsal, hi.

Your plant may not have been mislabelled.  As I understand it, the Buzz series are still vigorous plants ESP in the open ground and in good soil.  

I have today ordered the white one...Ivory....and fully expect it to be at least 5' tall by mid summer but prob more.  A "normal" buddleia would grow far taller.

I have a plant in 3 litre pot due in next day or so so it should have an established root system.  For the same price elsewhere I was offered plug plants.......  I know just where it will go to offset a brilliant red dahlia.  Ok, corny but I think it will work well

There are dwarf varieties............    Blue Chip being one...but I think it's lost character of buddleias as I know them.  

email image
13 messages