London (change)
Today 7°C / 2°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 7°C
10 messages
11/09/2013 at 13:01

Has anyone grown Buddleja 'Flower Power' from plug plants before, if so please can you give me some advice. 

I bought some plug plants of Flower Power from an on-line plant supplier last year and they have just flowered for the first time. The flowers are only dark purple and not the colourful purple, pink, butterscotch etc they are advertised as having. 

Do the flowers on the plants develop the multicolour flowers in following years or have I got dud plants? 

Many thanks in anticipation of your replies.

11/09/2013 at 14:13

I would contact your supplier and ask for a refund.

11/09/2013 at 15:08

If they have only just started to flower, you may have to wait a bit longer. According to the description I have just read, they start off purple and then change colour!

On arching branches with dark green leaves, this distinctive cultivar produces striking clusters of purple buds, which open to reveal bicoloured blooms in variable shades of pink and orange, fading to bronze as the flowers mature during mid to late summer.

unqote

11/09/2013 at 16:10

Thanks for your replies. The flowers stayed purple the whole time and then died. No colour change seen at all. 

11/09/2013 at 16:34

I have seedlings growing in cracks in the pavement that flower the first year. They are purple type. These sound like seedlings not clones grown from cuttings.

As I said before, I would contact the supplier and ask for a refund.

11/09/2013 at 17:44

Thank for the advice.. Will now contact the supplier and ask for a refund and will buy more elsewhere. 

12/09/2013 at 09:35
12/09/2013 at 16:27

Thanks for the link Flowerchild, interesting seeing people's experience with Buddleia Flower Power. 

I contacted the internet retailer I bought the plug plants from and got a full refund. 

17/09/2013 at 17:34

An update - I ordered a 3 litre Buddleja Flower Power from a different internet company and am delighted to say when it arrived it was multicoloured (purple, orange and pink). Horray! It was nothing like the plug plant flowers I got from the original supplier which were solely dark purple. Glad I managed to get a refund for the plug plant ones. 

18/09/2013 at 13:45

Name and shame. Who did the original plants come from?

email image
10 messages