London (change)
Today 24°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
10 messages
06/09/2013 at 20:50

I have bought some bulbs this week but in the planting advice there is no depth guide

So I would like to know how deep to plant these bulbs please

Snake heads

Anemone (Blanda)

Also if I choose not to plant these this year how best to keep them.

The reason why I ask is I may pull up my lawn in the spring and reseed it as Its really in bad shape hard clay with a lot of lumps and bumps I have aerated it four times now and added sand to it but it’s still in bad shape compacted with five dogs running around all winter and spring. I have nearly finished my fence to keep the dogs off the lawn this year so it will not happen again.

Saying this it is a health hazard as you could twist your ankle quite easily it that uneven at the moment but like everyone else it’s down to money.

I think I would easily need 4 ton of top soil to make any impact on the lawn. I think I would hire a turf cutter first then rotavator clear as much tree roots away then add my top soil and seed it.

But the front garden is my next big project as this has even more trees/bushes that need to be removed I do plan to make wooden raised beds and gravel in between the beds and plant a mixture of veg and flowers and lose the lawn all together as it’s not really that big a area for a lawn also it’s in full sun all day with conifers lined in a L shape around it. As this photo

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/30633.jpg?width=125&height=350&mode=max

James

06/09/2013 at 21:09

I would pull out all that yellow ragweed before it seeds.

Anemone blanda only about an inch deep. Fritillaries in damp soil about 2 inch deep.

If you don't plant them this year , either in pots or the earth, then they will dry up and be no good at all.

06/09/2013 at 21:33

Thank you Fidget

I will put them in pots then, after they have flowered do you pull them out and dry ?

James

06/09/2013 at 21:42

I let bulbs in pots die down of their own accord. Then you can remove to replant if you wish. Or you can put the potted bulbs into their final position, anytime they are growing as you would with potted plants.

06/09/2013 at 22:12

Great I will do that thanks a load fidget alsoI just been out yes in the dark and pulled that ragweed

I must be mad me thinks

James

07/09/2013 at 07:38

Looks like really good hedgehog habitat - have you seen any hedgehog poo around? Will you be able to keep some undergrowth for them?

07/09/2013 at 07:52

Dove not been in that part of the garden for years I only cut the grass.

But new pacemaker has given me a new lease on life (no stopping me now) in fact I've not stood still since July. I've tried to spend two to three hours in the garden every day since my operation 

No hedgehogs spotted but I think I had foxes living in there a year or two ago as I noticed that smell you get with Foxes 

I paid last year for the hedge to be cut and I think it scared them off I remembering one year seeing a fox sunning himself on top of my garden shed from a bed room window 

James 

07/09/2013 at 09:50

If you have foxes, you don't get rats.

I prefer the foxes, and the cubs playing on the lawn are so cute.

If you want lots of wildlife, you have to be a bit untidy, to give them undisturbed areas.

07/09/2013 at 10:02

yes fidget you are right I know there is a area behind the rockery that is like a cave/den for them as I used to cut the grass there but now it stops growing as it's too dark between the rockery and the conifers ( in the corner) 

I think for next year I will just throw wild flower seeds at the garden then and just leave it alone and maybe the foxes will come back But in saying that we never have any cats in the garden back or front back because of the dogs and maybe the front because of foxes ??

I have brambles growing in that part or the garden would you cut them back or just leave

James

07/09/2013 at 10:13

Brambles in the garden I cut back. There are enough trying to take over from next door. They fight back and I usually get scratches from them.

Thick leather gauntlets and a pair of loppers required. Otherwise in 2 years you won't have a garden at all, just a bramble patch.

email image
10 messages