1 to 20 of 73 messages
01/02/2012 at 20:00

the first crocus opened on 1/23 here in reno nv- they are tommasianus-a few dozen planted 30 years ago have multiplied into thousands-crocus chrysanthus is budded but is waiting for a few days of sun-today it is 60 degrees and spring seems very close

02/02/2012 at 16:24

Hello David,

It is good to have somebody on the forum who comes from Reno. The strange thing is, that because we've had such a mild winter here in the UK, our crocuses are coming up too. I've seen plenty in bud in London, but none opened yet. We're just experiencing a cold snap so I expect that will have checked their progress!

Emma

gardenersworld.com team

03/02/2012 at 15:26

The crocuses in my garden (W London) are just coming into flower.

On a related point, is it usual for tulips to be comng up this early? I planted some (Queen of the Night, Merry Christmas) that said they were not meant to flower until late Apr / mid May, but the shoots are already well up and rivalling the daffs. Its the first time I have planted these (in pots) so I have no idea if this is usual! The snow predicted for tomorrow could put a halt to all that I suppose....

03/02/2012 at 17:11

The so-called "botanical crocuses" are opening in the sunshine and my "Gypsy Girl" had too last week but they have now keeled over in the frost.  The ones in grass will fare better, I think.

04/02/2012 at 06:44

in the past 30 years reno has gone from a cool zone 5 to a cool zone 7 still cold for the uk but an enormous change here-the weather has also seemed to become more stable particularly in the last five years-in my experience bulbs are disoriented the first year you put them in-they will bloom earlier sometimes much earlier than the following year-the tiny bulbs follow one another closely-by mid april crocus will be at the flood followed by scillas and puschkinias with my favorite chionodoxa covering the ground bluer than the sky

09/02/2012 at 23:49

the weather here is very fine-mid sixries but very dry-we are just coming off a record dry spell-67 days with no measurable precip-the garden is still dormant despite the warmth altho i did notice this morning that the buds on the magnolias-stellata and liliaflora-are begining to swell-a friends garden was swept by a brush fire that also burnt 29 houses-the second such fire this year-we live to close to the edge of the desert-will someone tell me what is happening in your part of the world?

10/02/2012 at 10:17

David, winter was very slow to arrive in the UK this year after a very warm October so lots of bulbs have put on early growth, only to be hit by a colder, snowy February.  The only bulbs behaving normally seem to be the snowdrops.  Snowdrop gardens that opened on the 5th of Feb. had grear displays and ones opening up til lthe end of the month are looking good.  But many bulbs like tulips are showing a lot more leaf than usual and some daffodils are flowering.

21/02/2012 at 21:52

more and more crocus tom. are showing thru the garden litter arousing feelings of guilt about not doing a more thorough cleanup-the excuse of protection from the cold dry weather no longer applies-the weather in fact is cloudish and warmish-the guilt is not so great as to cause me to actually clean-tomorrow-tomorrow will be the day because the major diplsy is about to begin-however the ground coverage does seem to be what the bulbs like for reseeding so perhaps it is in fact an act of virtue

22/02/2012 at 16:51

Being too tidy in the garden is the eighth deadly sin, in my opinion. David.  Co-operate with nature to get the best productivity.

22/02/2012 at 21:28

reading about the cold in europe makes walking around in short sleeves and gardening in a t-shirt seem even more pleasant-reno really does have great weather seriously though how is the cold affecting things there- is it as cold as elsewhere-in the minus range? the weather here of course will be wonderful until we have a final killing frost about the first week in june- about the drought what  are your rainfalls- here a drought is when we have 3 inches instead of our usual six in annual precip-in summer when the humidity goes to 15 percent gardening stops until fall-good lord i am running on-so far u all seem quite reticent ttfn

23/02/2012 at 23:12

last year at this time the nearby mtns had 650 inches of snow-not a record but still very impressive-this year is on track to be the driest on record-even in the high sierra there is little more than 24 inches-here in the valley because we don't depend on local precip we hardly notice except to enjoy the fine dry weather-we wait until it is time to panic-bulbs-chrysanthus ladykiller opened yesterday nestled in its foliage the blossom almost on the ground-chrysanthus aura opened today-it has faded from the beds and grows now only in the gravel paths where it has seeded-ladykiller has no such compunctions-it seeds and blooms everywhere-go figure-cleanup and composting slowly proceed-the season comes round

24/02/2012 at 23:44

raked the litter off the front garden and found sieberi in bloom everywhere-as the years pass i like the little bulbs more and more- other than their beauty and their earliness the reason is that i grow them mixed in the beds, the first of may when the beds seem to be full of drying grass i wonder if even the tinies are worth it, then in a week or two the perennials have covered the evidence and all is well-the foliage of the larger things-narcissus, hybrid tulips- never seems to go away-in midsummer there the wretched evidence is for all to see -usually right in the middle of something otherwise perfect-the weather continues fine-the sky so blue and pure that laying on my back i feel as though i am falling upward

27/02/2012 at 23:12

four inches of snow last night and light snow all day-every branch and twig bears its light burden-the air utterly still-under the snow spring continues to work -when it melts -perhaps only a few days away-where only dozens bloomed yesterday there will be hundreds-the species tulips have peeked above the ground-both because of their nature and their location-north side of the house-they will be the last to bloom just at the end of spring

28/02/2012 at 23:21

yesterdays snow is melting before another storm comes in tomorrow. everyone is hoping the storms we didn't have in winter will come in spring. took out an amelanchier alnifolia-the last survivor of a different garden idea . i would have left it-it's enormous-but it is blocking the humulus aurea and the vitis purpurea that are at the center of a new scheme-isn't scheme a great word almost as though we are in a conspiracy to bend mother nature to our will, but then we are, aren't we? The vitis will have a clematis warsaw nike twining through it, the humulus a julia carrnevon- i see them as impossibly opulent. the plantinf also contains gold elder, gold variegated elder, buddleja dartmoor and rosa hugonis-the possibilities i think are for grandeur but--maybe not-comments would be appreciated

29/02/2012 at 15:32

Hello David,

You're painting such lovely pictures with your words. Is there any chance of you adding some photos to this thread? It all sounds very picturesque.

Emma

gardenersworld.com team

29/02/2012 at 20:28

at the moment i am technologically disabled but will try pictures in the future

29/02/2012 at 20:46

is there anything-other of course than a fast compost heap-which makes a gardener feel more godlike than propagation?  whether seeds or cuttings, reality and lets face it good sense go out the window in the lust of creation. in a time of small gardens how many of one thing does one need-a dozen rosa nevada-certainly-two dozen buddleja alternifolia-why not? flats of this , rows of that and one day you realize-where will all these orphans go? friends who congratulate themselves on their adventurousness when they add a flat of zinnias to their regular marigolds and petunias gaze on my gifts with suspicion verging on panic-well there it is, the burden has been passed-on their heads be it

01/03/2012 at 18:48

with spring near no matter what the thermometer says vigorous root growth will be starting on the plants that make great root cuttings. if you have an extra(or an old) eryngium or anchusa, or any other strappy, tappy rooted plant-jackpot. loosen the soil all the way around and gently lift from one side, cut the white, vigorous roots so that you will have pieces about an inch long. pot them into damp medium fine sand put them in a cool, shady place- in a month or less you should see little nubbins-is that a tautology-are there big nubbins? once growth appears handle as usual.

01/03/2012 at 20:07

i live north of watford (!) and our crocuses have been in flower for the last 2 or 3 weeks now!!  also, i had my first daffodil blooming 5 weeks ago but then it got hit by the first lot of snow. my second and third daffodils then got sideswiped by the second lot of snow! and today, i saw my first painted lady, luckily my wallflower 'bowles mauve' has flowers on it!! mild weather indeed!!  

01/03/2012 at 20:46

winter has returned to reno 5 feet of snow in the sierras cold and windy here in the valley. the day before last weeks snow a clump(more than 20 blossoms)of crocus aurea was blooming-supposed to be in the 60s on sat- great clumps of hellebore foetidus are ready to flower-spring isnt really here because the wonderful limy green that everywhere announces the season has yet to appear- bowles mauve is not reliably hardy here although other wallflowers seed around and about 

1 to 20 of 73 messages