London (change)
Today 19°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
5 messages
30/10/2012 at 16:11

I know, sounds like a spell from that boy Harry Potter!

I think I have one of these. This year it has grown rosettes of very large leaves but no flowers. On Google it says it is highly scented with daisy-like flowers which match the picture I have - on a seed packet. What I would like to know is is it a thug, If so how much of one. Should I keep. or dig up?? Any other information please.

Another name I think is Heart leaf Telekia

30/10/2012 at 16:53

I have this and I love it. I wouldn't have described the flowers as scented, never noticed that, but there's a lovely pungent scent to the leaves. Telekia speciosa is what I know it as, formerly Bupthalmum speciosum. It's quite a big plant, doesn't like to be too dry. Not a thug here, seeds about in a minor way, but takes up fair bit of room because it's big. The seed heads stand well through winter. 

30/10/2012 at 17:20

I have a lot of this plant. It is one of the best plants there is for bees. There are 7 bees in this picture...

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/falcosubbuteo/six-bees.jpg

http://i849.photobucket.com/albums/ab51/falcosubbuteo/buphthalmum-bees2-1.jpg

Dolores Umbridge wrote (see)

sounds like a spell from that boy Harry Potter!

It does. Dolores Umbridge would know about that.

Dolores Umbridge wrote (see)

What I would like to know is is it a thug, If so how much of one. 

Many gardeners would regard this plant as a thug. Seed catalouges use euthemisms such as 'robust' and 'good for the back of the border'.

It seeds itself around very readily too. At least, it does in my garden,

Personally, I don't have any problem with it, and wouldn't be without it.

30/10/2012 at 17:49

Never had any trouble with it self seeding here, which is odd in a way, everything else does!

30/10/2012 at 18:23

Great. Thanks, That is what i wanted to know. I have a clover lawn so that bees will come and try to encourage them as much as possible.  I split it today and left some in front where it had been dumped (by me) and put some in back where it can do whatever it wants. Self seeding will be good, seedlings are easily composted if the need arises.

Just hope it flowers. Hasn't this year, that's why the question

email image
5 messages