Start a new thread

1 to 17 of 17 replies

Hi has anyone got any of these in there garden and what size do they grow to i have a full tray of seeds thinking of making a screen at the back fence in my garden the rest i will give away.

discodave

I have a piece of THE burning bush

nutcutlet

What's a burning bush?

Lyn
So, what size do they grow to then Dave?

Advertisement

nutcutlet

Is that what it is Andy, Euonymus elatus?  Are they seeds or seedlings? 

Lyn
I would assume Andy is growing Bassia scoparia, that is what we used to call the burning bush, they don't grow very tall, wouldn't make a screen hedging I don't think. Could be wrong any other thoughts.

They where a packet of seeds which i got at the garden centre photo on the packet looked like your photo nutcutlet.

Lyn
Have they sprouted yet Andy, if it's what nut says, I think you may be in for a long wait to get it to hedge standard. If you want to Google it, there is a site that'll tell you how to grow the seeds, it's called euonymus alatus, it's sounds very complicated.
discodave

Well, I learnt something new there, Bassia scoparia is a tubleweed those plants you see rolling around on old movies. 

discodave

Im completely confused, What photo Andy?

Dovefromabove

We used to call Dictamnus Alatus the Burning Bush; I've also heard it used to refer to Bassia Scoparia.  Thank goodness for Latin names 

I've never heard it used to refer to  Euonymus Alatus but having googled I've found it referred to as a hedging plant.  I'm surprised - I would have thought that to treat it as a hedge would be to lose it's best features which are it's elegant form and the colour of the autumn foliage which is at it's best with the low autumn sunlight shining through it.  I also don't want to be discouraging, but I'd have thought you'd have to wait several years for any sort of a hedge if growing it from seed. 

nutcutlet

I'm confused as well, not even sure we're talking about euonymus. If we are, the Dove is right, a long wait for a hedge.

I think burning bush might cover anything red. There was a much grown annual when I was a kid. Leafy thing, coloured up in the late summer. That was called burning bush as well

Lyn

C'mon Andy! spill the beans, what does it say on the packet?

Caz W

Nutcutlet - I remember having plants like those once.  Think their name was Kochia ?

Advertisement

nutcutlet

It was Caz. Didn't find that out til much later had forgotten again

Hi all sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you busy at work am sure it's Euonymus Alatus not got the packet just wrote Burning Bush on the label will upload photo later of the seeds.