Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Burning Bush

Andy19Andy19 Posts: 671

Hi has anyone got any of these in there garden and what size do they grow to i have a full tray of seeds thinking of making a screen at the back fence in my garden the rest i will give away.

• discodavediscodave Posts: 510

I have a piece of THE burning bush

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

What's a burning bush?

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    So, what size do they grow to then Dave?
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

No, Lyn,

Andy19 is refering to one of these http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euonymus_alatus

I am refering to this

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Is that what it is Andy, Euonymus elatus?  Are they seeds or seedlings? 

In the sticks near Peterborough
    I would assume Andy is growing Bassia scoparia, that is what we used to call the burning bush, they don't grow very tall, wouldn't make a screen hedging I don't think. Could be wrong any other thoughts.

• Andy19Andy19 Posts: 671

They where a packet of seeds which i got at the garden centre photo on the packet looked like your photo nutcutlet.

Have they sprouted yet Andy, if it's what nut says, I think you may be in for a long wait to get it to hedge standard. If you want to Google it, there is a site that'll tell you how to grow the seeds, it's called euonymus alatus, it's sounds very complicated.

Well, I learnt something new there, Bassia scoparia is a tubleweed those plants you see rolling around on old movies. 

Im completely confused, What photo Andy?