Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

buxus smells like cat's pee!

I bought a buxus yesterday and it stinks do you think I can be cheeky and return it image

• CeresCeres Posts: 2,697

I'm not sure the law covers things like shrubs smelling of wee.

• Thank you Verdun, thought eveyone would think I'm a cheapskate as it wasn't even expensive, At first I thought it was my neighbour's cats but no it's the plant I googled and yes they do smells of cat urine and it's strong I have a small garden so would never be far away from it don't want to bin it hate wasting plants and don't want to pass it to family.

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Wonder if there are different types, I've got several and no pong from them - ribes yes, big frits yes, some hellebores & iris's yes - but not buxus here - glad about that!

• oh dear! :/ I've just bought two, with the intention to prune into balls (like that's going to go well, nooo) and they don't smell at all. 

• Philippa, I was astounded to see how much they cost when topiarised (if that is even a word!) into balls... so I bought two decent sized ones for £9 each instead. Never tried my hand at it before, so the poor things might end up looking a bit ropey!

• davids10davids10 Posts: 894

box is one of those plants that only some people can smell-very funky to my nose. Some others are crambe, euphorbia, alcea. . . . I'd say take it back because it will always smell-to you.

• LandlubberLandlubber Posts: 396

just stand away from it?image

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I can't smell it, I've got one right by a seat. Does it smell all the time or is it seasonal

In the sticks near Peterborough