London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
11 messages
25/02/2014 at 20:01

Hi,

If you wanted to create a large (1m X 1m ish) Buxus Topiary ball but started with quite a small plant, would you just let it grow until it got to the height you wanted or do you have to trim it every year like the gardening books recommend

25/02/2014 at 20:03

I'd cut the tips every year to thicken it up and even from an early stage direct it towards a ball shape

25/02/2014 at 20:08

Hmm, Okay thanks Nut, best get the shears out lol

25/02/2014 at 20:10

If you want to create the ball, the supporting stem must first be at the height you require centre of the ball to be.

It's only at that point can you start to shape and start the thickening process.

A 1 metre ball will take quite few years to achieve, just getting buxus to that height can take 6-8 years depending on growing conditions, that's why buying them that large is very expensive.

25/02/2014 at 20:28

We have an accidental box ball in the wrong place, which we have trimmed every year.  It's really big now - probably worth a bomb at a garden centre, but have been thinking of asking on here whether (or if) I should move it.  It started as a little plant with nowhere to go, was 'bunged' somewhere for the time being, and has flourished, but is not really in the right place.  But trimming every year has made a nice ball shape.  Sorry, I realise I have invaded your thread with my own question.  (It's all 'me, me, me')  But I do think you should trim every year to let it know what you want from it.  It began as a bargain basement, 'losing the will to live' plant that was obviously made from a cutting at the garden centre - ie. a rapidly drying out twig in a pot about 9 years ago.  It hasn't been hard work at all - just that little trim every so often and water in summer.  Will post a picture tomorrow and you can see what you can expect. 

25/02/2014 at 21:02
Dave Morgan wrote (see)

If you want to create the ball, the supporting stem must first be at the height you require centre of the ball to be.

It's only at that point can you start to shape and start the thickening process.

I'd do that for a cone or something upright but I'd want the trunk to be divided before it got to the top of a ball

25/02/2014 at 21:34

I couldn't believe at a local store one of the big ones they want £75.00 for a 2ft box ball. They are big money now.

25/02/2014 at 22:00

Crazy isn't it?  Wish I'd bought a few more wretched twigs nine years ago.  Could have flogged them on Ebay!!

25/02/2014 at 22:23

Its nice when you get a plant that you 'didn't really care about' and it grows really well, it sort of grows on you so to speak. Yes please do post a pic BB. I brought my box plant last year, it's around 40-50 cm plant but no shape to it so wasn't sure wether to let it grow large then shape or 'train' it into a ball and make it grow into an even bigger ball next year and so on. And yes they're so expensive! but I suppose the time it takes to create such a size is grounds to charge so much 'time is money'.

25/02/2014 at 22:39

Oh well that's quite big then - 40-50cm - shouldn't take 9 years.  Ours began at about 10 - 20cm I think.  They seem to get bigger at an increasing rate as time goes on. 

26/02/2014 at 09:10

I bought 2 in Jan, conical one is about 50 cms and the ball is 20 cms both for £15! in lovely containers from HB. With a bit of TLC both are very happy in the porch.

email image
11 messages