Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Buying plants on-line

I would appreciate any recommendations for website to buy plants. Somewhere with reasonable prices and good customer service/delivery.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

And if they don't have what you want try Woottens https://www.woottensplants.com/

a 'small' family run nursery with a well deserved superb reputation image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• I use Thompson and Morgan - the plant quality has always been very good.  I've tried others and have not been so impressed.

http://www.thompson-morgan.com/

• marc weirmarc weir Posts: 124
    Brookside nursery in hints tamworth are very good. Ive just ordered some plants from jersey plants for the first time with free p+p but the plants are more expensive too compensate. Have a look at brookside
  • OldtykeOldtyke Posts: 155

Oh Dove! I have just finished salivating over the Auriculas from Woottens! I may have to get OH to constuct something to put them on.

• Thank you all, Paddocks Plants is in visiting distance from here, I have used Wootens when they have a sale or special offers. Thompsons website is down, but will try again tomorrow and Brookside have some little gems but most of what I'm interested in are out of stock.

I must say I so enjoy browsing t'internet for plants in the hope I will find something special.

• marc weirmarc weir Posts: 124
    I have ordered 6 perennials from paddocks tonight have to wait and see about the quality
  • Paddocks do look very good and as you say Verdum, very reasonable, I think I will pay them a visit at some time when I'm down that way. I must remember to make an appointment. The eryngium, jade frost looks fab, may have to try that one myself. I have heavy clay which is wet all winter and like concrete in the summer and I tend to loose a of of plants. But I'll give anything a try and put it in a pot if necessary.

• If anyone is thinking about buying pond plants and marginals I have had two contrasting experiences this year; the extremely good and the extremely ugly.

The extremely good: The quality of plants I received from lilieswatergardens was outstanding! Not small plug plants only suitable for growing on, these were beautiful specimens that have all taken off really well. 

The extremely bad: Victoriana Nurseries: Where do I start! I ordered in May and received in July as they refused to send part of the order without applying two postage costs. The boxes were both damaged and soggy (the courier reported this) and the tops of the plants were all broken. There was heat damage resulting in translucent foliage and the water soldier had a slug with it which had had a feast and the plant sank without trace. The cowslips were the size of a fingernail. It took three weeks of countless emails before they begrudgingly offered a £15 refund (the order was £90) and seemed to believe as the plants would eventually recover I was not out of pocket. They refused to grasp the point out that I shouldn't have to pay full price for damaged plants despite photographic evidence within an hour of the plants arrival. So all in all poor plants and very poor customer service - be warned!