London (change)
Today 11°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 8°C / 5°C
21 to 30 of 30 messages
19/07/2012 at 22:47

Mine are a good 10inches tall now but I put some in pots to grow on a bit and the slugs have nibbled the main stem near the soil so they've all fallen over! When I pot the others up I'll have to keep them somewhere safer! Might do like MR BEAN and his marrow and construct a moat!

19/07/2012 at 23:26

Mine are about a foot tall and the 2 which survived from seed are now about 2inches! The slugs haven't touched the VB but they've decimated my calabrese. I could sell them as green doilies

20/07/2012 at 07:13

Nearly all my plants are self seeded in a gravel bed,a few others around the garden. It's amazing where they pop up. I then transplant them around the garden when the stems have toughened up. I think this helps with the slug situation.

I love VB but my husband can't stand them, he says they are long stalks with a flower on the end. I keep telling him they are elegant, graceful plants so useful for giving height to the border and the bees and insects love them, but he just can't see the point. I still plant them what ever he says. we have to agree to differ.

Have a nice day folks.

20/07/2012 at 10:59

@lovetogarden.. my hubby is the same.. but put them in with lavender and they look super..

09/05/2014 at 20:30
10/05/2014 at 15:11
My post above didn't seem to go through! Not to worry, was just asking if verbena b. Is supposed to be slow to get going? The seedlings haven't really done much in the last month, still at about a centimetre tall...
10/05/2014 at 15:13

I would say yes, very slow to start but then they get away nicely.

Some people will be envious that you got them to germinate at all. 

10/05/2014 at 18:29

They do sometimes take a while depending on when you sow. The ones I sowed last year were virtually evergreen due to the mild winter and only started looking a bit rough in march. They're now growing well with lots of new shoots. I use a gritty compost for them and pot them on once they're a decent size.

Oh and that's advertising - tut tut. not looked on very kindly on this forum 

10/05/2014 at 20:25
Ok thanks, so its not just me verbena is a slow starter. I'm finding the same with penstemon & antirrhyniums. Having started with veg. I'm used to rapid changes ( beans got me started in horticulture), so it seems that flowers you have to start really early - say Feb. - if you want flowers in summer.

As to germinating verbena, didn't realise I had achieved something there! All I did was use a heated propator, but maybe I had a good batch. Pansies, aqualegias, allysums? Nothing!
10/05/2014 at 20:35

Aquilegias don't want heat alex.I sowed my original verbenas in winter and gave them a bit of a chill. It shocks a lot of things into action. Not tender plants though 

email image
21 to 30 of 30 messages