Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Camelia - why are buds only on lower branches

Hi all

I have a question regarding my camelia, which is growing in a pot.  It has made new growth but the new buds are only showing on the lower branches - can anyone advise why this is please? 

Kind regards, Tony

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Hi Tony, while camelia can flower on new growth, it takes the best part of a year for the new wood to mature enough, so when it was pruned will affect this.  The best time to prune it is immediately after flowering which give the new growth that pruning encourages time to mature.  If you did prune it at the right time last year, the lack of flowers may be down to the poor summer we had or it may need feeding.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    Bob is absolutely right, and it has made new growth, all ready for next years buds to form.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hi Bob and Lyn i never pruned it so as you say it must be down to the weather,ive just started feeding so ill see . All my others are fine so i keep you informed ,thanks for all your help.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    I think it may need bigger pot, have a Look at the root system
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ThaiGerThaiGer Posts: 165

Hello, Bob and Lyn areabsolutely in right, but be careful of a bigger pot (it need a bigger!). Don't like "cold and wet foot". Watering a little and look of the correct drain. I'sure, you have luck image.

• Ok Lyn will do once the snow has gone,either that or i,l dig a tunnel !

• Thanks  ThaiGer i,l heed your advice .

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

have you got it in the right type of soil,it needs a lime free soil.

• ThaiGerThaiGer Posts: 165

hi, tony, flowering rose speak right when she say : look at the soil. You can use a commercial camellia/azalea mix, or a super special soil-mix like this: "...equal parts small pine bark, sand, oak leaf mold (or coarse peat moss), fir bark, sphagnum peat moss, mushroom compost, volcanic pumice stone, earthworm castings, bat guano, kelp meal, feather meal and gypsum..."-  image. I found this in an american(!) newspaper about camellia. But make you not crazy, tony...

• Hi Flowering rose yes they ( i have 5 camelias alltogether ) are, all the others are various sizes from 5ft to 2.5ft the one pictured,they have all been treated the same and the rest have buds all in the right places. I will take all the advice given and greatfully received and let you know the outcome.As far as the magnificent mix of ThaiGer's i think i will stick to the commercial product as i havent got a degree in horticulture lol.image