London (change)
Mon 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 16°C
7 messages
29/04/2014 at 20:04

I have 2 very small young camellias that I was bought, they were v cheap supermarket ones and I don,t know the variety, one is just one shoot, it has grown, is a year old and looks quite healthy but needs bushing out it,s a year old and hasn't,t flowered, the other has 2 stems and is going yellowish, I,ve only had that 2 weeks and stuck it in garden for 2 days innormal bed before I got chance to plant in ericaceous compost,please could anyone advise me on best care so they both become good bushy flowering plants thanks

29/04/2014 at 20:24

Hiya rosemummy

If mine they would not yet be in the ground.  I pot them up in ericaceous soil and grow them on for a year or so and then plant into the garden. Make sure your garden soil is not too alkaline.  Camelias wilI grow in neutral to acid soil....acid soil is not essential.

I would treat both plants to sequestered iron.  Normally I would prune the tops back to encourage lower shoots but yours do seem a little sluggish for that at the mo. 

When growth is vigorous I would nip the tops out.

Good luck 

29/04/2014 at 20:27

Thanks verdin, maybe next spring? After flowering if they do flower? Soil is def not alkaline, one is in pot, think will remove otge from garden and keep in pot til next year, both in west facing place

29/04/2014 at 21:41

My mum keeps her two camellias in the greenhouse over winter - (she is in NE Scotland). They flowered profusely this spring and they go outside (in pots) through summer / autumn.

I will pass on Verdun's tips about pruning them to her though as they have a lot of vigorous growth at the moment and need a trim. Thanks!

30/04/2014 at 07:57

My little son sowed some camellia seeds two seasons ago in our garden, knowing that I love camellia tea.  They have been growing very well and flowering a lot.  I am moving house in a few months.  Any chance I can transplant them?  

30/04/2014 at 08:58

Cindy I'm sure you can safely transplant them 

Be nice to keep those plants created by your son and drink your own tea 

30/04/2014 at 09:03

Yum I love camellia tea haven,t had any for ages!

email image
7 messages