Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Can anyone help ID this plant?

Hello everyone - I walked past this every day in the summer on the way to station and it amazed me every day.  The blues seemed to radiate, especially in the evening light.  I plan to get one of my own for next year, I just need to know what it is first!

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Looks like Linaria purpurea to me

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

I agree Nut - looks like that to me too image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Very blue though isn't it? Mine are more purple than that. 

The shape and leaves/stem look right.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Yes I agree. It's lovely and will grow anywhere - but beware - that really does mean anywhere. Very likely to self-seed, including in the roots of other plants and shrubs - and is then difficult to remove. Pretty though. There's a pink version too.

• GardenmaidenGardenmaiden Posts: 1,126

Purple toadflax, very easy to pull up if you don't want it, or it is for me with my popeye arms. Didn't know there was a pink one thought. That would look pretty.

• Yes I agree it's a linaria. They come in various shades of purple/mauve and pink too.

• punkdocpunkdoc Posts: 15,039

I like Linaria vulgaris, a very pretty yellow colour.

How can you lie there and think of England
    When you don't even know who's in the team

S.Yorkshire/Derbyshire border
  • yes agree linaria

I have it everywhere in  my garden but its pink. self seeds like theres no tomorrow!

• Thanks all.  Might look into a pink and a blue for Spring then.  Could make a nice combo image

• If you pass the plant you've photoed every day, you might notice that it's now covered in abundant seeds ....