London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
7 messages
09/05/2014 at 22:40
http://s3.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/45269.jpg?width=350

These seedlings (about 2" high at the moment) have appeared in my wooden tub which has a Kilmarnock willow in it.  Other seedlings have appeared this last couple of weeks which I've identified.  None were deliberately sown or planted in the tub.  It's these ones with the serrated leaves which are intriguing me as I've also found them popping up in other parts of the garden.  I keep thinking that the obvious redness of the stems should be giving me a big clue but I'm just not sure.  The only thing I have in the garden with slightly similar shaped leaves and a strong dark stem nearby this tub is an aruncus but I have no idea if it would self seed.  Anyone know?  I haven't had seedlings like these show up before.

I know seedlings are very difficult sometimes to identify until there's some good growth, but does anyone have any clue about these ones?  Thank you.

09/05/2014 at 23:35

Well, I'm fairly sure it's a tree seedling, not sure which.

09/05/2014 at 23:37

Tree seedlings I think, possibly beech or similar.

10/05/2014 at 02:46

They look like sycamore seedlings to me. Are there any mature trees near you? They could have blown in in the high winds last autumn/winter.

10/05/2014 at 09:12

I would say tree as well. If you excavate in the pot you may find evidence of a seed

10/05/2014 at 11:07

They're sycamore seedlings, my garden sited directly under two massive sycamores and it's a full time job in spring getting rid of them all  And council won't let neighbours and I get rid or even prune back boo 

10/05/2014 at 23:44

Hurrah!  An identification thanks everyone and Flora rosa.  Now I know exactly where it's coming from...next door who have a sickly sycamore.  I'd better dig them up as they are all over the place.  Thank you.

email image
7 messages