London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 10°C
15 messages
27/04/2013 at 10:59

Hi everyone.. i was given a bit of this for my shady garden.. and i love it..but i dont know what it is. it grows upto about 12-15ins tall when in flower.

any help would be great thanks.. all i know is it spreads fast and can be divided easily by just chopping up..

i am sure it is not comfrey ans doesnt grow tall enough

27/04/2013 at 11:00

oh. where the picture go.. here it is..

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/22688.jpg?width=289&height=350&mode=max

27/04/2013 at 11:18

Looks like comfrey to me. There are different varieties, this is one of the smaller more ornamental ones.

27/04/2013 at 11:31

It could be a Pulmonaria, which come in many many forms.  One variety is called "Ray Davison" which has light blue flowers which turn pink as they age and I do see some pink in your photo (although it's difficult to see clearly.)  Edit: It could equally well be one of the comfreys, too, as figrat says.

27/04/2013 at 11:36

I also thought that Bob-but do all the lungworts not have spotted foliage-hence the name? As you say also looks like a comfrey.

It's difficult to see clearly when the pix won't enlarge isn't it? Bit of a drawback on a forum for gardening!

27/04/2013 at 11:52

I was given some of that for my shady garden, as pulmonaria. It so isn't. It is comfrey

TRied to upload a pic of mine but I can't for some reason.

I am going to dig it up, compost leaves, garden waste roots and replace with a pulmonaria as it is a bit of a thug.

27/04/2013 at 12:17

One disadvantage of posting via iPad is that I can't upload pictures, but I can zoom in on ones already posted. This plant has deeply veined and textured leaves, which pulmonaria doesn't, though the flowers are similar.

27/04/2013 at 12:48

Definitely a comphrey. I've got a large patch of that one. In flower now.

28/04/2013 at 08:27

thanks everyone.. sorry about the picture it was uploaded as a larger picture than that.. and it wont enlarge anymore..

so it is a comfrey then.. god! i love the flowers of it.. and want to keep it really.. is that advised or shoul di dig it up now..

28/04/2013 at 08:46

Well, it does spread. Depends how much space you've got, I suppose!

28/04/2013 at 08:48

comfry is a thug in the garden as it spreads, keep it in check by digging up runners and cut down to ground level two or three times a yr, put the cut leaves in the compost heap as a natural activator, or make comfry feed by stewing it in a large tub of water then dilute the water before watering it on your plants put the leaves  in the bottom of your bean trench as they will love it.   the bees love the flowers too as its got masses of pollen.

it suffers from mildew if allowed to get too big and over crowded so chopping it back does it the world of good.

ive got a large patch of it on my lotti and its so useful, i wouldnt be without it, its the one plant id take with me if i had to leave my plot.

vp

28/04/2013 at 09:01

ok thanks figrat.. will keep eye on it..

veggiepatch1.. many thanks for the info.. thought only teh large comfrey made liquid feed. so well pleased to know that. so how long do i leave the leaves stewing.. and in cold water or warm.. sorry never done it before..  and i will cut it down andput some under my beans which i hope to plant out in few weeks as they just coming through now.

yes the bees are loving it.. so really will keep it.. but will keep it in check.. will do as you say.. am making note in my garden book now.

the mildew problem is fine as my lungwort suffers that also.. so just cut it back all the time so one more plant ot do wont be a problem.. thank you all so much for your replies.

28/04/2013 at 19:44

cold water is all you need, ive got an old cold water tank someone was throwing out,i just bung the leaves in, cover with a sheet of wood to stop ankmals falling in and getting trapped,after a few weeks, it goes a greeny brown n stinks, then its ready.  just a couple of capfulls like you do for tomato feed in a watering can is fine.

enjoy having it in your garden its good stuff.

vp

28/04/2013 at 21:21

I,ve got something just like that inmy garden and been trying to find out what it is . Mine is much lower than that though- about 6 inches high. Is some comfrey only this height?

28/04/2013 at 21:40

Jigsaw Gill, I suggest you post a pic on a new thread,  to be get an accurate id.

email image
15 messages