London (change)
Today 24°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 16°C
8 messages
29/07/2013 at 08:17

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/28349.jpg?width=652&height=350&mode=max

I collected these this morning from some dead poached egg flowers. Just before they dropped off themselves.  Does anyone know if i keep these whether i can grow from them next spring?  Also do i need to dry them out for a bit? If so can i get some advice on drying them and how best to store them.

many thanks in advance for any help!

29/07/2013 at 08:36

I would have thought so as it self seeds anyway. Am not sure how well the seed will keep some like to be sown straight away. if storing you will need to make sure you dry it thoroughly and then keep it somewhere dry and cool. Re the storage maybe sow some in autumn and then some in spring and see which comes up, does best?

29/07/2013 at 08:48

Are you sure these seeds are really ripe davie? there's a lot of yellow and very pale colour, I'd have expected something a bit brown

29/07/2013 at 09:11

Thanks ChrissieB i will certainly try and plant some in Autumn, see what happens. Do you have any tips for drying the seeds? Do I Just leave on windowsill or in greenhouse for a week or 2? 

And Nutcutlet, the seeds were just about to drop from the heads, some had already half dropped, so i guess they probably just need drying out. I do have another couple of poached egg plants that are still in full bloom, i will try and leave these to the very last minute before harvesting seeds but they seem to fall quite soon after flower dies.

thanks for taking the time to reply chaps!

29/07/2013 at 11:14

If you just let the other seeds fall, you will probably have more than you want growing next year.  If they are coming up too thickly, you could pot on or transplant a few.

29/07/2013 at 11:46

Like fidgetbones I would just ket them self seed and move the plants if they are in the way - I don't waste new seed compost and time on sowing seed that will find its own place in my garden.  But the poached egg plants that make a great swathe of green in my veg. garden in the spring are dug in as green manure with an edging of them left to entice in the butterflies as they flower very early.

29/07/2013 at 17:10

Hi there all, i made a mistake and got 2 of my plants mixed up, these seeds are actually from a Tidy Tips, these grow pretty easily so I reckon these seeds will grow fine next year, and that probably explains why there is a bit of yellow left on them.

29/07/2013 at 18:28

To dry the seeds just leave them somewhere warm on some kit hen paper for a few days, that should do the trick

email image
8 messages