London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
1 to 20 of 32 messages
11/02/2014 at 22:22

A foxglove appeared in my herb bed last year during the summer. I'd like to move it to somewhere more suitable.  

Would it survive a move at this time of year. Am down in the south, so wet wet wet but not overly cold. 

Thank you, last question for today.  Can you tell I managed to get out in the garden for an hour this afternoon?  Always results in lots of questions.  So much to learn!

11/02/2014 at 22:24

Shouldn't be too much of a problem, just dig up as much of the roots as possible to ensure you don't do too much damage and use some micro fungi root builder when putting it in its new home

11/02/2014 at 22:25

Hi Peanuts, if you move it with a good lump of soil it won't know the difference as long as it's not drowning. 

11/02/2014 at 22:27

I would wait for a drier spell nearer to spring.  Too wet and cold,right now I think 

11/02/2014 at 22:57

They are also mainly surface-rooted, so take quite a wide, fairly shallow area of soil with the plants when you move them rather than digging-out a narrow deep plug of soil close to the stems.  They appear every year in my veg plots and I successfully move them to shady corners where they do well.

11/02/2014 at 23:02

Same as Bob. I move quite large ones out of veg patch, into final position in borders.I just take it with as much soil as it carries and plonk it in. Water in and bobs your uncle.

If you're under water, I would wait until the soil is better condition.

12/02/2014 at 07:54

I get them in the veg patch too and do just the same as Fidgetbones.  

12/02/2014 at 09:19

They need some sun to grow well and will grow large in full sun with damp soil. I have moved them a good few times with success everytime - just do as the above.

12/02/2014 at 11:17

I had this problem with self seeded foxgloves in my plot and were in the way when I was digging. So as I came to them, I dug them up with plenty of soil and took them back home where I potted them on and placed them in a cold frame. Afterwards they have been taken out  and are awaiting spring and SWMBO decides where they are to be placed.

12/02/2014 at 21:46

Thank you so much for this advice.  Will let it dry out a bit and move it then. 

13/02/2014 at 10:27

Gosh - I've never found them that fussy, though they don't like to be dry.  Their natural habitat is light woodland with dappled shade.  There is a wonderful meadow of foxgloves in light woodland as you go into the Woburn Estate  in spring.  I think they wallow in the leaf mould which keeps their roots moist.

13/02/2014 at 11:02

They do have a tap root but I find it does not go deep until the flowering stalk emerges and so can be moved before that happens quite easily. I think that is where some people worry about moving Foxgloves.

13/02/2014 at 13:45

Dont think there is a problem moving foxgloves ....my only consideration right now is the state of the soil.  Wouldn't move anything until soil dries up a little.  not worth planting in mud 

30/06/2014 at 11:36

When is the best time to dig up foxgloves?  I have some that I would like to move.  They are in flower at the current time.

30/06/2014 at 12:29
If they are in flower now, they will shortly die as most are biennial. Then you dig them up and either bin them or compost them
30/06/2014 at 13:20
Fidget, that is what I always thought, and yet I have seen them described as perennials - the only thing I think that can refer to is the fact that once you have grown them they will seed about and new plants will come up? But I had been meaning to ask whether that was what was meant, or whether the same plants could come up again.
30/06/2014 at 13:21
Sometimes if you cut them down and leave them, they will flower the following year, but they are never as good. Best treated as biennial.
30/06/2014 at 13:38
Ah right. Well I have always just pulled mine up when they are finished, but we always get a few more. I will continue to do that then!
30/06/2014 at 15:07
The only ones that are perennial are the illumination series, but the frost gets them instead as they are a cross with isoplexis. To propagate illuminatiion pink, talk to verdun.
30/06/2014 at 19:03
Fidget, that's post-graduate studies gardening, I am just doing my A levels!!
1 to 20 of 32 messages