London (change)
Today 29°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
21 to 40 of 40 messages
15/06/2013 at 13:43

I have three species peony which are leggy but produce beautiful flowers - although not many.  My problem is we are moving house and I want to try to take them with me.  Two are in a too wet area of the garden at the moment anyway and have just flowered.  Can I cut them down and put them in large pots - we are moving beginning of October? I would envisage them having to stay in pots for a yesr?  Should I cut them down now, then pot them as late as possible?

15/06/2013 at 13:47

Let them die down naturally - at the moment the leaves are feeding the tubers ready for next year.  Lift them just before you move then plant into the new garden as soon as you can or into pots if that's not possible.

KEF
15/06/2013 at 20:38

Nearly Green, we had to move a Peony for sentimental reasons when family member died. Knowing they don't like disturbance I was worried. It was planted in our garden and then 5 yrs later we moved, it lived in a pot for 2 yrs and then finally I braved it, split it into 3. I have 2, in different locations, hoping one place would suit, and a family member has the other. All three have flourished. I did prepared bed  / planter beforehand and took as much rootball as possible and did it quickly.

The original one was from my Mum in laws, and it had been transplanted from her Father's. So it must be over 40 yrs old. I hope you're successful.

15/06/2013 at 20:45

KEF  One of the growers was talking (at Chelsea I think)  about moving peonies and she basically said it is a myth.Don't know why it seems to be one of those 'facts' we're always told about them.  I've moved them before too and thought I was just lucky but apparently not! 

15/06/2013 at 20:50

Factoid: Something everyone knows but isn't true.

I'm always moving things around including paeonies

KEF
15/06/2013 at 21:10

Phew, glad I didn't give more duff info'.

15/06/2013 at 21:13

I've got plenty of duff information if you need some KEF 

15/06/2013 at 21:17
KEF wrote (see)

Phew, glad I didn't give more duff info'.

I think it's great that you have that history with the peony KEF 

I've got plenty too nut!

15/06/2013 at 21:40

I think that when peonies get moved sometimes they get planted too deep - they don't like that so they won't flower, so people say they don't like being moved.  

The trick is to move them carefully and keep the depth the same so they don't notice 

15/06/2013 at 22:07

and the roots of an established paeony are so enormous you need an excuse to leave it alone.

15/06/2013 at 22:31

Leaving our last house but renting it out, I realised I really needed to move two peonies from a very shady area there they were doing nothing to the front garden in full sun.  I only had a spade, dug them both up and carried them to the front.  I dropped one on the way.  Planted both to the same depth and three years later our tenant has left and I've been back - they're huge!  I honestly think the planting depth is the key.  Good luck!

15/06/2013 at 23:29

I agree, it's definitely a myth that you can't move them - I've done it several times and got flowers at the usual time.  It would be a mistake to cut the leaves back at this time of the year though.  That would seriously weaken them.

16/06/2013 at 00:34

I've moved them succesfully by planting as shallowly as I can.  I have heard that the reason they do not like deep planting is that the buds need winter chill to prepare them for flowering.

20/06/2013 at 17:16

Thank you for all that, I will certainly leave until as late as possible, as they are leggy (particularly the two in wet ground) is it possible to cut them down in the autumn before potting them?

20/06/2013 at 19:22

You can cut them down but not too early as those leaves are feeding up the root ready for next year.

03/07/2013 at 14:21

My white peonies have noy flowered for three years , any advice? They are in a pot .

14/08/2013 at 20:37

I had to move a peony today because of a house move.  I should have read this before doing so though because I have cut all the leaves off thinking I was doing it a favour.  Now I read that the leaves feed the tubers for next year. I have done everything else right except this.  Is there anything I can do to feed the tubers now?

16/09/2013 at 16:34

Would it be ok for me to move my peony now it is 16th September or should I wait 

16/09/2013 at 17:27

I've moved them too.  Plant with crown slightly higher than the soil level and in a sunny spot.  They like their "roots" sunbaked.  Then they will flower well.  Too deep or too shaded by surrounding plants and flowering will be impaired.

21/07/2014 at 23:21

I have a similar story to KEF and have removed a peony from my late mums garden. That too is over 40yrs old as it came from my Nans..it had plenty of tubers on it and I gave some to close friends and family.

Its now in place and I've watered it well in and top dressed with compost .

Any tips as I don't want to loose it

Thanks

Lisa

email image
21 to 40 of 40 messages