London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
6 messages
24/10/2013 at 13:08

I have been given some marigold plants by a friend but I am not sure whether I can plant them out in the garden or not. What is the best way to keep them over winter?

24/10/2013 at 13:22

Most marigolds are annuals and will die after flowering. Its the compost bin for them I'm afraid. The african and french varieties will not survive a frost. Calendula (pot marigolds) are a bit hardier, but still best grown from seed fresh each year.

24/10/2013 at 14:35

Did they have black seed heads on them? If they did save the seed and sow in spring.

24/10/2013 at 20:52

Oh dear - not much hope then. They are large seedlings so I'll just stick them in a pot on a windowsill and see what happens. I don't know where my friend got them from at this time of year!

Thanks for all your comments.

24/10/2013 at 20:59

lp. You didn't say they were seedlings. If they're calendula, they're pretty tough and if they've been outside so far, they'll go through the winter. French marigolds won't.

I thought you meant this year's plants to be kept another year. From the answers I think other people thought that as well

30/10/2013 at 01:58

Oops - apologies to all! I was told they were marigolds but if they are plants then they must be calendula. I don't know much about marigolds/calendulas (I think that's pretty obvious by now!) so sorry for misleading everyone.

I feel more confident about putting them outside now, planted in the garden rather than in a pot as I think this may offer better protection against frost.

Thank you for taking the time to help me out - it is much appreciated.

email image
6 messages