London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
7 messages
03/02/2013 at 16:46

i was given a rooted cutting of an unnamed but rather lovely red rambler and, three or four years later, it is beginning to take off. I planted it next to a cheap metal garden arch and it is now throwing out long shoots which need to be tied up, running the gamut of fierce thorns. Is it foolish to think of training it over this arch? Will it be too heavy and too rampant? I have a place next to a summerhouse to which I could move it, but it is in shade. 

16/02/2013 at 16:17

Hello Gardening Grandma, How much shade is it total or dappled shade ,the cheep arch may not be able to support the rose as it gets more mature .

Derek

16/02/2013 at 17:53

The simple answer is yes you can.

The longer answer is tie in the new shoots in a back (then forth motion- as it grows). Your next issue is the type of arch you have, some roses don't get too heavy until after a few years but if you trim back the unwanted weight you should be able to cope.   I had one last year that had only previously grown by about 1ft, then I put in a cheap arch, and it grew over 8 ft in 1 year, needless to say, I pruned it back in November and  re-tied it to the support, as it now grows I will train the new growth over the support. 

16/02/2013 at 19:10

Thank you , Clogherhead and discodave. The rose is in full sun (when it shines). The soil is pretty good - fertile and heavyish,clayey but opened up with garden compost over the years.. Discodave, that's a very useful piece of advice! Tbe rose is only a couple of feet high because it was a cutting and needed to root and establish itself - but I think this year it will take off. You are right - I can cut off the bits I don't want and be pretty vicious if I want to. I presume it would be best to cut it back sraight after flowering.

16/02/2013 at 19:22

depending on the type, some can be cut back now. 

22/02/2013 at 21:21

I once grew a rambler  up my garden archway ,and it really took off but then I just had to keep cutting it back all the time, because of cutting it back  i had very few flowers on it ,so in the end i had to take it out ,I now only grow climbing roses up it now which i can keep in control

25/02/2013 at 20:38

Very good point, Marilyn. I do already have a smaller rose growing over the arch., but it is not thriving, so I thought I'd move it and grow something tougher. My own suspicion is that it is too big and you have just confirmed that. I like the idea of leaving it in as discodave suggests, but it is VERY thorny and I could get sick of handling it.

email image
7 messages