Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Can someone tell me what this is please

I have got this at the start of my hedge and dont know what it is. We are trying to replace the leylandii hedge that is there with a native hedge  and dont know if we should keep this or not. 

Have also got this if anyone can help with this as well. Thanks

• SwedboySwedboy Posts: 394

Is the first a climber? It kinda look like a honeysuckle.

• CalendulaCalendula Posts: 69

2nd is cotoneaster I think

• I agree with you both, honeysuckle and cotoneaster was my thought.

• yes agree 1st is a honeysuckle and 2nd is a cotoneaster  good for you getting rid of the dreaded leylindii .

• Dont think its a climber. This is what it looks like at the bottom if this is any help.

-

Looked up the second one and think it is a Himalayan cotoneaster ?

http://www.british-wild-flowers.co.uk/C-Flowers/Cotoneaster,%20Himalayan.htm

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    Could the first one be a snowberry?
  • WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

Looks like Honeysuckle by the stems also. The main stems get very woody and quite thick with thinner very long red shoots coming off all over it. The thinner stuff will be vigorous, you could wait to see it flower? But I'd say it looks a lot like Honeysuckle

• PracatanPracatan Posts: 2

I think the first is a snowberry bush as well.  You will soon see little tight pink flowers followed by white "snow" berries in late summer.

• PracatanPracatan Posts: 2

I forgot to add that where I am from in Tyrone, snowberry bushes are very common in hedgerows where they grow along with hawthorns, seven sister roses, holly, ash and ivy.