Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Can someone tell me what this is, please?

RoopsRoops Posts: 2

I walk past this tree quite often, but haven't been able to identify it - can someone help, please?

The leaves are similar in shape to those of a Bay tree, but softer, and the spherical leaf clusters look like topiary.  However, I've never seen anyone tending to the plant and the balls always look "perfect" so either the owner gardens at night or they form naturally like this.

I'd like to grow one in a big pot, so any help in identifying this plant will be gratefully received!

Many thanks,

Roops

• LoxleyLoxley Posts: 5,698

Hard to tell when it's pruned like that (presumably at night!), but might be Magnolia grandiflora.

"What is hateful to you, do not do to your neighbour". 
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

A day time pic might helpimage

Prunus lusitanicus is another possibility

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Need a close up and in daytime
  • It looks like a tree that's been Cloud pruned, can't tell from your picture whitch tree it is.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Agree Chrissy, I missed that in the OP. Nothing grows naturally like that Roops. Nor stay that way without frequent snips

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Daryl2Daryl2 Posts: 452

Why not just knock on the door and tell the owner how much you admire his tree and ask him to tell you about it. Anyone with something well cared for like that in their front garden will probably be delighted to tell you all about it. You might even get offered some cuttings image

• VGBennettVGBennett Posts: 1

The leaves resemble Prunus Lusitanicus, or it could also be a manicured Indian Bean Tree. Beautiful whatever it is.

• RoopsRoops Posts: 2

Thanks everyone so much for the information - I have tried knocking occasionally over the last 4 / 5 months but never a reply.

I'll persevere and let you know what (s)he says.

Thanks again!

Roops