London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
7 messages
23/05/2013 at 11:30

I have viburnum Eskimo, which has beautiful round balls of fragrant flowers in spring and red berries in autumn. It is slow growing and mound-forming and takes a long time to reach its maximum size of about 3.5 metres - mine is still only about two feet high after three or four years. It has dark green, glossy leaves that turn red in autumn and is said to be deciduous, though quite a few leaves stay on the plant in winter. I love it, but wish it were a bit faster growing. There was one in a National Trust garden I visited and it perfumed the whole garden.

23/05/2013 at 11:48

I have Viburnam bodnantense Dawn. It has pink flowers through most of the mild weather from November to March or April. On a sunny day it will perfume the entire garden.   Prune after flowering to keep it to size required (about 6 ft)

23/05/2013 at 13:05

..Viburnums are an omission from my garden that I'm not happy about, I don't have a single one...  of those I like that I've seen elsewhere would be Viburnum carlesii or burkwoodii 'Park Farm Hybrid'... and I think if I was to get one, it might be one of these two...but I think they are large growers, in time...

23/05/2013 at 13:27

OH & myself were blown away by a fragrance when recently visiting a small nursery. V.Burkwoodii came home with us! Another, almost identical in flower, wasnt quite such a stunning perfume.

I've got a Boidnantse Dawn, which I cant actually smell! It does look good though. Yes quite large, but IME copes well with quite radical pruning every few yrs. My clematis Alpina is extending the interest by just starting to scamble through it from its adacent trellis. I also have another white flowered viticella, no idea of name, which is allowed to scramble up it from being planted below.

With the discovery of 2 similar looking plants smelling differently my advice would be to actually do the 'nose' test & get the one that you prefer. Buy a small plant if possible & site it to allow it to spread, but somewhere where the fragrance reaches you in the garden. J.

23/05/2013 at 13:51

Changing the subject just a bit have you ever been near a Daphne "Jaqueline Postill"... when in flower in spring... it will blow your socks off. Similar size to a viburnam. Some of my viburnams have a bit of die back this year.

25/05/2013 at 12:27

Sorry, did not see this. We have all three. V. Mohak is probably the best of them, though V x juddii is a close second. Mohawk starts of with red buds, opens pink and then fades to white. The scent is fantastic.

http://i703.photobucket.com/albums/ww32/Owdboggy/May%202013%20Garden/MayGarden2013009ViburnumMowhawk.jpg

Juddii is equally scented, but pure white and not as free flowering.

25/05/2013 at 20:51

All 3 are great shrubs, have had them in the past, and agree that Mohawk is the better one.

email image
7 messages