17 messages
07/05/2012 at 11:19
Can anyone give me advice on passion flowers? I didn't cut it back and at the mo it looks pretty sad. Should I cut it back and see if it climbs again and treat it like my Clematis??? Could it just be the cold? Can I feed it? What's best?
07/05/2012 at 11:37

Hi Max,

I cut my passion flower back drastically every year, anytime between late winter and late spring, and it grows back with a vengeance. I cut mine right back practically to the ground, but that's personal choice, to try and keep it under control. I never feed it - it's on very poor soil, against a south west facing wall.

Go for it!

07/05/2012 at 12:05

Is your passion flower in the ground or a tub? If it's in a tub, might it have got too dry?

07/05/2012 at 15:59
@Lorea thanks for the advice. Will try cutting it back. Heavens have opened this afternoon, will try another day! @Alina no it's in the ground and usually gives a great display, perhaps I'm just impatient.
07/05/2012 at 16:14

You might be - the recent cool spell has slowed a lot of things down and made them late.

08/05/2012 at 12:46

Mine is in the ground, trellised against a North facing wall.  I let it die off, then cut it right down to the ground.  It comes back well, but isn't doing anything at the moment.  I don't know if it's too soon to start shooting, or if its just a bit too cold and wet still.  I'd chop it. 

Yvie

08/05/2012 at 18:47

I thought I'd lost mine a few years back but it came back mid summer growing very strongly from the roots - this was after I cut it back.  Prior to that I never pruned it, just let it do its thing.  Then last year's harsh winter (2010/11) totally killed it off

08/05/2012 at 21:50

Thanks for all your advice.  I have made the decision to give it a good cut.  Was going to do it yesterday, but the heavens opened so will have to wait for the next fine day.  Would have been good today as the weather was fab, only I had to go to work!! Trust the good old British weather!

@Dewy - I remember planting my passion flower a few years back (it was given to me by my mother-in-law) and at the time wasn't very impressed as it didn't do much, but I kept my patience and finally after two summers it flowered and look great along the trellis at the bottom of my garden.  I think it just needs tender loving care

17/10/2012 at 13:40

ihave a passion flower infull bloom 17 10 12 should icut it back to ground level and mulch it

17/10/2012 at 19:56

I have a passion flower which grows 20feet horizontally under the windows and onto the porch, I cut back all the side shoots when it has finished flowering. It is planted against a south facing wall, it is never fed or watered and blooms from spring until December, at peak flowering time it has dozens of blooms per day.  Hope this is helpful 

15/08/2014 at 10:34

Any advice please I have a very nice passion flower which produces a few flowers and abundant buds which never develope Can t think what I am doing wrong. It is in a south facing corner but shaded from the west sun. it seems to be quite happy there but the buds don t come to flower. I am thinking I could move it to south west border where it would get more sun but not so much shelter. I have been feeding it. Any ideas please

15/08/2014 at 10:59

Least you have got yours growing Meg 3, I planted some seeds about 3 months ago and did exactly what it said on the packet - nothing - it does say can take a while, but have  a feeling something not quite right - or am I just being impatient? 

After experts have helped Meg maybe they can consider my problem - please. 

15/08/2014 at 12:56

Hi Meg,

I have a passion flower on a South facing wall, it gets the sun 1st thing in the morning and up to about 2ish in the afternoon. It took mine over two years to flower and the only thing I do is mulch around the base at the end of Autumn. I've taken cuttings and I'm trying to grow some from the seeds that the fruit produced this year.I hope you have some luck with your's Meg

Damsel, I hope your's germinate.

Best of luck to the both of you

15/08/2014 at 13:46

Mine is on a shadyish fence and thrives lol. Been flowering all Summer and is even starting to produce some fruit!

15/08/2014 at 14:33

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/56660.jpg?width=305&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/56661.jpg?width=543&height=350&mode=max

Couple of photos of mine taken about 6 weeks ago 

15/08/2014 at 16:50

So lovely, I hope mine turns out like this eventually! 

15/08/2014 at 17:05

DD.......I always understood that you got more germination success by leaving some of the pith/jelly on the seeds when you sow them.  Buying them dry never worked for me.......blasted things !

email image
17 messages