Start a new thread

1 to 18 of 18 replies

John Hoolan

I love these little flowers, yet I have no idea what they are, I definitely planted them however, completed a schoolboy error by not labelling the seed tray.

Can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance.

John......no help I know but what a beautiful clear yellow

Fairygirl

Gazania possibly? One of those types of daisy I'd reckon. Someone here will know for sure John 

Elusive

Gazanias for sure

John Hoolan

I don't remember planting any Grazania seeds?

Advertisement

Elusive

well you must have! :P

Very pretty flowers that sometimes overwinter.

Plants originally are from South Africa and the flowers will only open when the sun is shining  

John Hoolan

Sounds very much like them - thanks a lot.

Fairygirl

Schoolboy error John - not labelling...but we've all done it at some point! 

Enjoy them anyway! 

gardenning granny

Yes I agree - gazanias - usually grown as an annual but have been known to overwinter in a sheltered spot in a mildish winter.  they need the sun but also don't like to dry out. lucky you.

John Hoolan

Thanks for all your replies, it's much appreciated.

One more question, my Mum has had this flower for years and years, yet she doesn't know what it is..

Any ideas?

John Hoolan

You're a star!

Thanks, this place is very helpful, I like it.

gardenning granny

and it should smell wonderful too, but can't cope with cold temperatures so definitely a house plant - your Mum obviously has the right touch to keep it flowering.

John Hoolan

If I have learnt one thing this year it's to mark my flowers!!

I thought this was a cornflower, yet not so sure now.

Help? 

Advertisement

John Hoolan

Thanks very much, now I think of it I do remember sowing them.

Need to get some tags!!

Definitely californian poppy

gardenning granny

some of the verges and roundabouts here, in the Languedoc, have been sown with a "wild flower mix" of poppies and californian poppies and that rich gold colour with a strong clear red poppy is stunning at the moment (March/April 2016) - I think I'll toss some seed into the ground and see if I can get a patch going - if the snails don't graze them off before they get going that is!