London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
1 to 20 of 24 messages
06/01/2013 at 13:36

Hello all

Just wondering can you collect seeds from a flower bouquet (cut flowers)?      Some in the house (not mine) but they might just get wasted if they go in the bin.

How do I go about doing this?

Do I need to cut the flowers of the stem and them dry them out - not even sure if this would work, can seeds be collected from cut flowers, there are some nice chrysanthemums and some others flowers.

Can anyone help me please?

06/01/2013 at 13:43

cant see why not,I have done cuttings and roses I have had a go at taking cuttings.some times lucky sometimes not.its worth a try nothing to lose.

06/01/2013 at 13:45

If they make seeds you could save them but mostly they don't develop that far. Are there any bits of stem you could try for cuttings. You get what you started with like that. Seeds probably wouldn't come true.

06/01/2013 at 13:54
I've just collecting some petunia seeds from a petunia in the garden which has died off. If I sowed them at the right time do you think they will grow?
06/01/2013 at 14:11

May be I will try cuttings -  if the flowers don't make seeds I will not be able to collect them.

Tracysshed - you should be able to sow petunia from seed if you make sure they are dry first, then they should grow ok I think. 

How big do you think cuttings would need to be?

Would you put them outside or indoors?

06/01/2013 at 14:13

hi Tracyshed, Yes, I've done the very same thing in the past.  Growing petunias from seed can be slightly tricky as the seeds are so tiny and they need to be surface-sown and not covered by compost.  The normal recommendation is to prepare a seed tray and water it first, before sprinkling the seed evenly and finely over the surface, then (very gently) patting it down into the surface (with dry hands, so the seed doesn't stick to them!)  Best to start them in a propagator (set to 21-26C), or put the tray in a plastic bag on a light, warm windowsill until they germinate (they need light to germinate, which is why you don't cover them with compost.)  Prick them out into  individual small pots/modules when they have 2 or 3 leaves (that may be hard if you sowed too thickly!)  Good luck - you might save yourself a small fortune!

06/01/2013 at 14:24

Gardengirl, flowers in bouquets have never been outside and may not be hardy anyway so they'd need to be kept a bit warm. 

06/01/2013 at 14:35

Thanks nutcutlet I will put in pots indoors

06/01/2013 at 14:52
I have grown pumpkin seeds from halloween into plants. Grew enormous but not that successful in the fruit dept. Was fun tho!
06/01/2013 at 15:44

Has anyone done cuttings before of cut flower?

What would you say had done well?

06/01/2013 at 15:58

i have had good success with pinks/carnations bought from coop

06/01/2013 at 15:58

Did some carnations year ago-it is probably more miss than hit-but give it a go.

I doubt very much you are going to get any viable seed they just didn't grow to that stage- let alone anything else.

06/01/2013 at 16:52
Ok thank you bob the gardener and garden girl for your help I will have a go.oh when is the best time to sow them march? Or earlier or later.
06/01/2013 at 17:48

I would try late Feb very early March but start off on a window sill or in a greenhouse somewhere warm ish - to make seeds start. I have tried petunia from seed packet before they take a while to grow large enough to transfer to bigger pots.  Keep the slugs away from them.

06/01/2013 at 19:44
Thanks garden girl I will try that
-
07/01/2013 at 22:55

All petunias I grew from my own seed turned out white...

Never had luck with cuttings from florists´ carnations, guess they were too old!

07/01/2013 at 23:16

Gardengirl, I have 5 chrysanthemum cuttings that I took of flowers I was given by my mother in law. Look for a side shoot with a little stem on it between the main stem and a leaf. Nip it off and put it in a glass of water. Roots will start to appear in a week or so then plant up and keep in the house until they are a little stronger then out to the garden they go once they have been hardened off. 

09/01/2013 at 19:06

I had some success with snapdragon seeds and echinops last year from cut flower seeds I saved.  I would much rather have a plant but if I get cut flowers I try to at least have a go and salvage something from them.

12/01/2013 at 15:53

Thank Sam I have put some chrysanthemums cuttings in water I will wait and see and I have put some in compost pots.

I like buying plants for the garden but the cut flowers were in the house - so I would see if I could do something with them

01/04/2013 at 07:50
BobTheGardener wrote (see)

hi Tracyshed, Yes, I've done the very same thing in the past.  Growing petunias from seed can be slightly tricky as the seeds are so tiny and they need to be surface-sown and not covered by compost.  The normal recommendation is to prepare a seed tray and water it first, before sprinkling the seed evenly and finely over the surface, then (very gently) patting it down into the surface (with dry hands, so the seed doesn't stick to them!)  Best to start them in a propagator (set to 21-26C), or put the tray in a plastic bag on a light, warm windowsill until they germinate (they need light to germinate, which is why you don't cover them with compost.)  Prick them out into  individual small pots/modules when they have 2 or 3 leaves (that may be hard if you sowed too thickly!)  Good luck - you might save yourself a small fortune!

Hi Bob, Do you sow them in mid march? I have just ordered "below zero" and thought I might save seeds later this year. maybe they won't come true and be as hardy.

1 to 20 of 24 messages