London (change)
Today 17°C / 6°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 4°C
7 messages
28/09/2012 at 10:03

I planted three new cana lillies this year in a newly designed hot bed.  They have grown really well, now about 1 metre tall and have all flowered well.  The bed is in a corner of the garden, south facing, with walls on two sides.  The soil is also very free draining.  My question is would it be best to lift and store them in the greenhouse, or cover with mulch and leave where they are?  The plants are surrounded by day lillies, dahlias, kaffir lillies, and many other plants which I intend to leave in situ and mulch.

28/09/2012 at 10:14

This is a judgement call really-I would always lift and bring into the greenhouse-it offers that extra bit of protection-the trouble is if it gets really cold and wet they will rot away-rather like risking leaving dahlias out

The other advantage is you can start them back into growth earlier next year if under cover

The choice is yours,

28/09/2012 at 10:31

I would lift them, but only because it allows you to start them off earlier.

I have some totally inaccessible canna lilies in the ground, and they actually survived the very hard winter two years ago. But - and it's a big but - they never come up early enough to flower.

28/09/2012 at 10:47

I love the exortic look of canna leaves( girl needs some exortic look in her life!), and have grown them for a while. Although I live in  Surrey, I find that even if they survive the winter they tend to flower later. I now grow them in pots and find that little bit of protection in winter gives them an early start.

28/09/2012 at 13:35

Thank you one and all. The overall consensus is to lift and store.  Now on to the next question:  When they have been lifted, when is the best time to divide them?  Mine appear to have set several new offshoots and I wonder if I can separate them from the main plant and bring them on as new ones?

28/09/2012 at 13:40

You are best waiting till the start of next season to divide when they are coming back into life

29/09/2012 at 10:03

Yes,divide them in spring when the shoots are about 5 cm. I also dust some rooting powder on the cut and it encourages the cutting to form roots. Enjoy growing them Dudley

email image
7 messages