London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 13°C
16 messages
05/07/2012 at 11:44

Just picked up 3 of these for 40p each from a local shop - thought I would give them a try as some thing different

My experience many years ago of venus fly traps is not good-probably playing with the traps is not what you are supposed to do.

These 3 are the small pitcher type and seem to be growing just in moss and in 2 inch pots-I know you are supposed to use rain water and keep them moist-has anybody got any other tips like repotting at any time?

They are going to be kept indoors.

Thanks.

05/07/2012 at 12:26

A good way to keep them is in a terrarium or old aquarium on a bed of peat topped with moss - they like a moist atmosphere. They are quite happy outside in summer, and will take a fair amount of sunshine.

Oh, and they grow big (a friend has a five foot plant), but you can trim them to keep them under control. Don't worry about re-potting for a while - they don't have very big roots.

05/07/2012 at 12:52

Thanks Alina-so if and when it comes to repotting in the same mossy mixture?

I am hoping they will reduce the indoor fly population-do I have to tempt the insects in any way or does just happen?

05/07/2012 at 13:01

Yes, use the same mix, they are really bog plants.

You don't have to attract the flies, they do that themselves. A warning - don't tip a pitcher over. The contents smell utterly vile.

05/07/2012 at 13:05

Just put them on bed of peat-will go on a moss hunt-thanks again

05/07/2012 at 13:13
sotongeoff wrote (see)

Just picked up 3 of these for 40p each from a local shop - thought I would give them a try as some thing different

My experience many years ago of venus fly traps is not good-probably playing with the traps is not what you are supposed to do.

These 3 are the small pitcher type and seem to be growing just in moss and in 2 inch pots-I know you are supposed to use rain water and keep them moist-has anybody got any other tips like repotting at any time?

They are going to be kept indoors.

Thanks.

I watch Beachgrove Garden a few weeks ago (BBC Scotland thursdays use your sky SEARCH to find it if your not in scotland) and they visited a Carniverous plant grower and he said "many people make the mistake of keeping Carniverous plants indoors, they are best kept outside as our climate is humid, they need to be kept damp and misted with rainwater regulary.

Had some venus fly traps myself which I kept indoors, I thought they died to friends and family coming around and poking them etc, but I now believe they died due to being kept indoors.

Hope this info that I have passed on to you helps and happy growing.

Dont forget Beachgrove Garden on BBC scotland thursday nights.

05/07/2012 at 13:19

Geoff, have contacted my friend and will update if she has any more tips

Tappet, the traps on Venus Fly Traps will only open a few times each before dying, so if people poked them too much that won't have helped at all.

05/07/2012 at 13:22

Geoff - you've just aquired some of my favourite plants ! I love my little carnivores. I've got a venus, a pitcher and a sundew . I stand mine in a tray of rainwater and have no problems at all. They like to be exposed to at least six hours of sunlight a day (haha ) failing that somewhere very bright or they will lose colouration. There are many types of pitchers and the ones on sale are usually the smaller species . You can put them in a terranium but if they are standing in rainwater they can suck it up when they need it plus it has the added attraction of luring midges etc to the plant . If there are not many flies around I feed mine with ones I've captured previously (gross I know !) Also beware of touching the pitchers with your hands as I have read that the oil on your skin can kill them. Alina's right about re-potting - they should be fine for at least 2 years. Have a look on the carnivorous plant society website - there 's loads of info on it. 40p??  Wish I went to that shop.

05/07/2012 at 13:59

Well thanks to Jean and Alina again-will check out the website-Tappet thanks as well- I do watch Beechgove on Sky down here on the South Coast -just have to make slight adjustment for the conditions.

Will let you know if this is a success- at worse lost £1.20

05/07/2012 at 14:42

I've had a reply, Geoff - here you go:

"You are right about the repotting and the roots, that goes for both. Both need rain water. As for the soil, that's usually a mix of peat, perlite and sand. Best buy a designated compost for them, they all like that.
And no carnivore likes drying out completely.
Oh, and they all need a good amount of light.
Saracenia are the more uncomplicated ones. You can sit them in a saucer and keep that topped up with water. They will also grow happily in such a tank. What I did with both was to put some clay granules down first and then add the soil.
The saracenia can go right on top of that, but nepenthes are more finicky. They don't like stagnant water around their roots. So If you want to keep them with other carnivores in such a tank, make the clay granule layer a bit thicker for them so they sit higher than the other plants. If their rootball can drain freely they will feel better. Once they have pitchers one can add a bit of water to the pitchers and they will use that to supplement their water needs without having rotting roots. You could even hang them from the sides of the tank without their pot touching the ground. Keep them moist, but allow excess water to drain.
All carnivores love being sprayed with rain water."

Hope that helps

05/07/2012 at 14:55

Alina have a STAR-that is so good of you and your friend -so much appreciated-they in the window and there is a fly buzzing round my head as I type-am hoping they will meet each other soon.

Will make a copy of this thread for future reference

05/07/2012 at 14:58

My pleasure, Geoff - I shall pass on your thanks

05/07/2012 at 15:11

thx for the info alina, I'm new to all this gardening so learning as I go along, many thx for the advice.

06/07/2012 at 13:54

I bought 3 pitcher plants from Jersy Plants direct last year the idea that they would cut down the flies  but they havent as yet. I too kill the flies and drop them in.I know some people feed them tiny bits of raw meat . but I have read that this is not a good idea. One tip I can give you is to allways stand the pot in rain water and not to water from the top . I have spoilt / killed off one plant in this way .

I also have noticed as they get taller they drip from the lip , so I protect the polished surface on  which they are situated.

06/07/2012 at 20:10

I found a dead fly-they will eat well tonight!

Thanks lucky3

07/07/2012 at 08:37

Hi Geoff,  here's an interesting website all about your pitcher plants - www.carnivorous-plants.com/pitcher-plant. All sorts of stuff on there including  how some species can supply a bat with a bed !!!

Sorry I don't know how to post a link.

email image
16 messages