London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
12 messages
02/03/2014 at 08:57

Over 50 years dad has never been able to grow either successfully in the garden pests and disease seem to get them every time.  Can they be grown in potato bags?  We don't need many but do like garden fresh rather than travel weary veg when we can get them

Thanks

Nan

02/03/2014 at 09:02

Hello Nan   

Given that you're in Fife, are we talking about what we Southerners call Swedes (yellow fleshed) or turnips (white flesh)?

As for carrots, I've grown lovely Chantenay carrots in containers in multi-purpose compost. They're not huge carrots, but the flavour is great.

Info here http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/digin/vegetables/chantenay_carrot.shtml 

02/03/2014 at 09:16

I've never had much success with carrots as they never seem to grow straight - even when just planted in mp compost.  

02/03/2014 at 09:28

Allium, try growing stump rooted varieties like chantenay 

Edd
02/03/2014 at 09:52

allium2, carrots need very fine and sandy soil. Any lumps in the soil will cause them to fork. Sieve your compost and avoid any stones or larger particles. If you can't do the whole bed then make holes with a iron bar and wiggle it round to form a cone shaped hole then add the fine mix of compost/sand to that. Then sow only a few seed in each and thin them out when they have germinated. 

02/03/2014 at 09:56

Thanks I do mean swedes.  I will try in bags and report back

02/03/2014 at 11:05
I've grown decent veg in a bog standard black dustbin, fill with compost, add seeds and forget.
02/03/2014 at 15:06

I always grow carrots in 4 very large plastic pots; just harvested the last ones 2 weeks ago. The height of the pots mean that carrot root fly don't get to them plus I only use spent tomato compost mixed with sharp sand, so no large stones.

02/03/2014 at 18:14

To avoid carrot root fly ,which decimates any carrots planted in the open on my allotment, I grow them in raised beds covered with enviromesh.

They taste so much better than the tasteless varieties you find in supermarkets.

Edd
02/03/2014 at 18:25

Companion planting with very aromatic plants, eg garlic, basil, marigolds etc, can reduce the females ability to find the host plant, but this is only a partially effective control measure. Mesh is the best!

There are two distinct periods each year, the first starts in mid May in the south and in mid June in the north, and the second starts in mid July in the south, in August in cooler areas.

They really are one of my pet hates in the veg plot and A most destructive pest. IMHO.

02/03/2014 at 18:38

Always grow good carrots.  No disease or carrot fly.

My soil.is a good sandy loam....perfect for carrots....but I ensure good stone free soil to a depth of 8" or more.  I incorporate fish blood and bone.  I thin twice.  I do not allow the ground to dry out during the growing season.  I cover with fleece.  I eat carrots all summer long......hence my niece's nickname for me, viz., "orange face"  Nothing better than carrots amd large chunks of cheese.  And a glass of gold top 

06/03/2014 at 18:49

for best results we grow ours in a large tub with soil or compost with 25 per cent sharp sand and we have had some corkers.

email image
12 messages