Register with us or sign in
Hadn't realised it was poisonous until today should I keep it or remove it
I'd keep it as it will die in the autumn anyway. If you have small children it would be wise to remove the seed pods that have grown.
Castor oil seeds produce ricin, highly toxic when refined, but not usually fatal if just the seed is ingested, even by children. It will make then ill but they are highly unlikely to die. They apparently taste appalling so kids would spit them out anyway.
It's a beautiful plant, so unless you have children or intend to refine it I'd leave it. It's not hardy so would not survive a normal winter.
It is lovely I agree and the kids are now 24+25 and the cats seem oblivious so it would be nice to keep it
Hello , personally I would keep it , a nice looking plant
I got one but it never flowers , it also as survived several winters , it is in a sheltered spot
I'd keep it. I don't expect you were going to eat it were you? Or concoct something that can be injected into a problem neighbour?
No plans to use in any form just to look at
Loads of common garden plants have some degree of toxicity - the chances of anyone eating them and becoming ill are extremely remote as long as small children are properly supervised.