London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
4 messages
25/06/2013 at 14:53

Hello one & all

I have a lovely tall ceanothus in full flower at the moment and would like to take some cuttings.  Has anyone got any advice on doing so - or had any success taking them?  I've tried but without success before.  My questions are:-  Do I take the cutting with a heel or just below a leaf node?  Do I use hormone rooting powder?  Do I cover the cuttings with a plastic bag?  All & any answers very much appreciated.

25/06/2013 at 17:50

3 inch semi ripe cuttings, cut just below leaf node.use rooting powder, and free draining compost. water once, let drain and put in covered propagator ( no heat) or use plastic bag method.

I think I did mine in July, but I tend to take cuttings whenever anyone offers them

25/06/2013 at 19:45

Many thanks 'fidgetbones'.  Really appreciate the information.  I'm off to take some cuttings now - and hopefully have some success this time!  Thanks again

25/06/2013 at 19:50

You could take some now and some in a months time which will be a bit riper. I find semi ripe cuttings a bit hit and miss. Sometimes they root in a week , sometimes take a month.

You dont want shoots that have already flowered.

email image
4 messages