London (change)
Today 26°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 28°C / 20°C
4 messages
21/03/2014 at 16:16

Hello everybody, this the first time on forum, as an inexperienced could anyone give me any advice on when to prune an overgrowing ceanothus, I don't know which variety it is only that it is evergreen an abundance of pretty blue flowers that are starting to come out now. I live in an old Victorian house that only has a wall around the front with a small boarder about two feet and this shrub is taking over. Any help would be appreciated   

21/03/2014 at 16:33

Hi Arthur -   you can cut it back when it's finished flowering - there's some information here 

http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/profile.aspx?pid=354 

21/03/2014 at 16:37

If you do it now you will lose all, those pretty blue flowers for this year - most flowering shrubs can be pruned immediately after flowering, so if you like, you can do it then.  I think they are all lovely - enjoy this years flowers and then prune.   They take quite hard pruning well, so you can make it narrow at the back of your border, leaving you more growing room.  Ceanothus are pretty tough, but the branches are brittle so be careful you don't snap more off it than you want to cut off.

Enjoy -  it will soon be gorgeous again.

23/03/2014 at 11:04

Thanks to both of you, I would have lost this years flowers as I was going to prune it just to tidy up the border, thanks again.

email image
4 messages