Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Ceanothus

Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,471
I love ceanothus BUT having brought one from my own very first house to another then onto here ...and lost it winter 2009 . I then tried a ground low growing variety which I then lost winter 2010. I gave up but still miss them ... Any ideas ? Would a pot grown one hidden away in an unseated greenhouse work or am I destined to do without .

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

I always lose them eventually, except one. It's a deciduous one called "Gloire de Versailles". It looked dead last year after we'd had snow and -17° so OH cut it down in the spring and lo and behold it grew again all bushily from the bottom!

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • Bunny ...Bunny ... Posts: 3,471
    Ahhh. Deciduous I shall make a note of the name , maybe there is a glimpse of hope , we haven't had such severe cold since but today a lot of snow. Thank you.
  • I look after a nursing home garden with raised beds ( about two and a half feet off the ground) , the bed with the shrubs in is well sheltered , more or less in a court yard. In the middle of all the shrubs and at the front of the display is ceanothus. It does well every year and I just give it a trim when it gets overgrown. Not had any probs with it, don't know whether that is because of its surroundings and the raised bed it is in bunny. It has shrubs behind it and at each side. The raised bed itself is about 10metres long . Sorry about all the detail but trying to explain the location of the shrub and maybe why it does well.
    My original one was in a raised bed in a terrace back yard, maybe why did so well, re located to sheltered garden not far away, then to exposed colder area and clay soil. Hmmm . Thank you I'm getting something to work on here.
  • Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Forgot to say - mine is in front of a south facing wall.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
    Mine were south facing and south west but south wind hitting them from open field . X
  • discodavediscodave Posts: 510

My next door neighbour has one in her back garden thats been there for over 10 uears, last year it was cut back by almost half because it was huge. A further 10 were planted on the front garden border between her and me, they are growing like mad they need cutting back and shapint this spring. Not sure if its a difference in climate or soil, we live in Surrey.

I think it must be location, I shall try again this yr with a large pot in a more sheltered spot and greenhouse it.
  • Hi Bunny,

I live on  North Northumberland coast.Have an evergreen Ceanothus about 11 years old,10 feet high & 20 feet wide.It catches the strong North East winds here,but apart from lightly pruning after flowering in June and chucking some general fertiliser around the base in Spring it gives me a fantastic display every year.It sits adjacent to a hawthorn hedge so does have a little protection.Our soil is solid blue clay.

As discodave mentioned,thery grow like wildfire and do need some shaping to keep them under control.Will take some photos when in bloom.

Good luck.gary.

Thanks Gary that's good to hear .