London (change)
Today 20°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 15°C
10 messages
04/10/2013 at 11:25

Hello all,

Am keen to plant some dafodils in the ground of my father's plot in the local cemetery. I was wondering if anyone here knows the law concerning such matters. Is it allowed? Hard to see how a few nice daffs in a plot could cause offence but you never know these days...

Thanks,

G

04/10/2013 at 11:28

I would ask the people who run the cemetary, I doubt if they all have the same rules. Sounds a lovely idea and it's hard to see how anyone could object but......

04/10/2013 at 11:30

I think it depends on the individual cemetary - speak to whoever's in charge.

If it's not allowed then perhaps planting some daffs in his memory in some other spot would be a comforting thing to do.  

04/10/2013 at 12:27

Had you thought of Primroses, because they have usually died down before the grass-cutting season starts.  Perhaps a clump of snowdrops, because they give promise of Spring.

04/10/2013 at 12:41

My mum is in a crematorium so maybe they have different rules, they don't mind daffs or simular plants but everything else has to be bought through them. They tend to turn a blind eye to some plants, my mum is under a tree so planted daffs and forget-me-nots.

04/10/2013 at 12:42

Hi Gareth - I often plant little things instead of just putting flowers down but I saw that others had also done so , so  I assumed it was ok. If there are other  examples nearby I expect it isn't an issue but as everyone else has said, it's probably best to check first. Sad to think that anyone could ever object isn't it? 

I put a little viola in recently and although the ground is quite dry because of overhanging trees it'll survive longer than cut flowers. I put in a little Saxifrage in spring as it copes there too. There's bare soil between the graves and the grass so they're quite safe. Snowdrops are a lovely idea Welshonion. 

04/10/2013 at 12:50

I think that initially objections arose because of difficulties in mowing around clumps of flowers etc, then cemetaries began making rules; and of course some cemetaries have rare plants growing in them - I know of several in East Anglia that are designated nature reserves, and it's requested that people don't plant varieties of plants that could cross-pollinate with the wild ones and 'contaminate' them. 

04/10/2013 at 12:58

Thank you all. It's a council run cemetery in Caerphilly. I'll see what they say. I think it does come down to the mowing of the grass. They seem to turn a blind eye to footballs, pint glasses and god knows what else are left on some of the plots so flowers should be a welcome addition. I'll have a good look around on the weekend and report back.

04/10/2013 at 13:13

Hope it's successful Gareth 

Dove - I've never heard of cemeteries being nature reserves. It's rather lovely. 

09/10/2013 at 12:33

Hey all,

I planted 10 bulbs in the border right behind my dad's plot. Very difficult to plant anywhere else as there's no soil (other than the borders) and the grass will be cut quite frequently which would cut the daff's down. I think it'll look quite good in the spring. That said, if a plot wasn't next to a border there'd be nowhere to plant.

Roll on the Spring!

email image
10 messages