8 messages
03/06/2014 at 16:49

I recently posted a picture of a lovely plant I'd seen in a local bank, and it was identified by helpful posters as cerinthe. Looks like growing from seed is the way to go. The one in the bank is currently in flower - when should the seeds be ready to gather? As I'd like to try collecting a couple and growing them on for my garden. I don't want to go looking for them and find they've already fallen!

03/06/2014 at 16:58

Catsmum..........you've got a bit of time yet............let the flowers shrivel and finish and then feel each flower head.........there will usually be 2 or 3 seeds in each one but don't remove them until they are ripe........black in colour.  They should come away easily when ripe. 

KEF
03/06/2014 at 16:58

I haven't grow them from seed I dug a bit up from a friends. I assume they do grow from seed as they self set. Soz not much of an answer really

03/06/2014 at 16:59

They're black and hard and so big you'd probably see them lying on the ground. 

They're good germinaters and the best and biggest are the ones that over-wintered but they don't all make it so keep some for spring

03/06/2014 at 17:36

I gather mine daily if the weather is dry.

One of my plants this year has white flowers, do you think that any seedling from it will also have white flowers ?

03/06/2014 at 17:42

It's a wild flower (or at least growing in the wild) so I can't dig it up KEF (would be illegal). Thanks for the info on seeds Philippa, Mark and nutcutlet - will keep an eye for the flowers shrivelling and seeds to ripen. And will try sowing some in later summer and save some for spring. Fingers crossed!

03/06/2014 at 17:45

Not worth digging up tcm, seed is the way to go. It will have seeded from a garden it's not a wildflower in the UK.

03/06/2014 at 17:49

Love the look of cerinthe and bought a packet of seed this year.  Every seed germinated - really pleased - then I had to go down to see my Dad in hospital and was away a fortnight.  OH looked after all my seedlings on the windowsills, watered, shaded etc but forgot the one on the bookcase(no light)  I now have one sickly looking young plant taking it's chances

Hope you do manage to get seeds but you can buy them if you don't want to be seen scrambling over the bank at just the right time

Mark that sounds great - but there's only one way to find out.  Seeds don't generally come true to the parent but you could have something special

email image
8 messages