Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Chelsea Chop

Fluffy CloudFluffy Cloud Posts: 200

Help... I've got a very healthy sedum and like to know if I can give it the 'chelsea chop' now. I know its somewhat early as chelsea is in mid May. Your opinions please. Thanks.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Funny you should ask as I did that very thing about 2 hours ago!  My sedum gets far too tall (80cm) and flops over other plants making a mess, so after reading about using the 'Chelsea chop' on sedums last year (in this very forum) I decided to give it a go today as it was already 40cm high and looking as though it was going for the full metre this year!  I don't think it will do any harm doing it a few weeks early, especially given the mild Winter and so early start it got this year. image 

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Did mine a week or two ago.  Of course they look awful now but it will be worth it later in the year.  Chop away Fluffy Cloud.image

• Oh thanks. Mine is about 12" tall. Will attempt to generate new plants from the cuttings. Tomorrow's job.

• Does anyone in the north Chelsea chop? Just wondered how late it would set back the flowering?

Wearside, England.
  • LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Done mine last week, primulas are next.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Lyn, why are you cutting back your primulas?  I consider them a Spring flower; should they be cut back?

Only asking!

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

I thought the 'Chelsea Chop' was all about delaying flowering.  Not about tidying things up after flowering.  That is why I was querying the need to cut back primulas.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

My primulas, i cut back to the ground when they have finished flowering for the winter/spring, they then grow back very quickly and I get a good bushy green plant that will flower through w

ith no tatty leaves or dead flowers. I do this mostly with the denticulata, they will then flower again.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.