London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
18 messages
09/02/2014 at 11:17

Hello lovely helpful experienced gardeners!

I am about to 'come in to' a regular free supply of fresh chicken manure, which I have heard is very good for the garden. However, I don't know how best to use it. Should I add it to my compost heap (the heap which is being filled for next year, not this one)? Or can it go directly on to my flower/vegetable beds? I know you're not meant to use fresh horse manure straight away so wondered if the same applied to chicken manure. Many thanks for any advice you can give this amateur!

09/02/2014 at 11:31

Best not used fresh on beds but it is ok to mix into your compost heap  for use next year.

09/02/2014 at 11:35

Chicken manure will burn any plants it comes into contact with. It is stronger than horse manure. I agree with philippa, I would use it well mixed into the compost heap, and use it as an activator.  Once the heap has heated up, turned and heated up again, it will then be fit to use on the garden. If you're short of clippings to mix it with, rip the newspapers into shreds and add that as well as some water.

09/02/2014 at 11:37

Hello Order in the border

I would mix it as and when with grass mowings and all the rest in the compost heap and turn it a few times during the summer. If you have a runner bean trench ??ou could  put it at the bottom in the autumn.  I would not do this now though with spring just around the corner

09/02/2014 at 15:05

Thank you all very much - you have left me in no doubt whatsoever what to do with it! Does the same apply to seaweed I wonder?? Thanks all for taking the time to advise me

09/02/2014 at 15:18

Ah seaweed!  I used to get large amounts of seaweed and spread it over all parts of my garden.  There is a lot of opinion on using seaweed like this ....that it should be composted.  first etc.   Down here seaweed has been heavily applied to gardens as a routline.  It does a number of things......it is excellent as a soil conditioner, it is an excellent slug deterrent (partly because of its saltiness) and it helps sandy soils hold moisture and breaks up heavy soils.

I apply it in autumn and by spring it will have broken down and all the salt washed away.  

So, I would not compost it before using it....even at this time of year.  

09/02/2014 at 15:24

Sorry to but in but I brought some pelleted chicken manure, dried seaweed granules and fish, blood and bone to put on my roses this year. Will the pellets burn plants? And does anyone know what ratios I should be using?

09/02/2014 at 15:24

Verdun not just salt washed away this winter have you seen the news this week

Are you under water ??

clueless

09/02/2014 at 15:30

Hiya clueless

No I'm fine.  Fairly sheltered I guess.  On a hill.  Sandy soil.  

But signs of damage everywhere around...Roads damaged, muddy water, changes along the coast, roads closed, no railway line linking Cornwall,  etc etc 

Hope you are ok too James 

09/02/2014 at 16:19

Ashleigh 2........generally speaking, dry pelleted stuff is safe to use around plants.  For best times to apply and ratios, it should give you that info. on the packs.

As Verdun says, seaweed is excellent...........you can also get it in liquid form

09/02/2014 at 16:21

Thanks Philippa, that's twice today you've helped me out

09/02/2014 at 18:57

You're very welcome..........happy gardening

10/02/2014 at 00:01

Orderin the border.

Welcome.

Such flattery will get you everywhere.

You are probably far too young etc.  {Mike's flattery]  to remember radio programs from yonks back.  There was a guy, I think it was Will Hay.  He would start his act with the words.  'The day war broke out'  So Mike is travelling back in time.  War time.  Most households managed to keep the odd chicken and have a small plot to grow and compensate the family table.  My dad had a plot and also chickens, rabbits and at times ducks.  Sounds great, but in those dire times.  Life was hard.  Having chickes obviously meant that in time  plenty of chicken manure as it is now called.  Was available.  Problem.  What do we do with it.  Most gardeners of the day were total no nowt's.  Even the experts stated that the only fertilizer values was to spread it around your oinions.  Basis for that belief.  The chicke waste was found to be so high in ammino acids.  Even in the corner of the garden.  A pile of this manure was always hot.   It was at the time considered far to hot and dangerous to put anywhere near garden crops, except for onions.  Now however, it is amongst the best sellers.  Similar to mushroom compost.  Even thirty years ago.  It was considered in the horticultural world as being, absolute waste.  No natural benefit.  Look at it now.  Times and attitudes change.

So.  I would suggest, spread it cast it lightly over the ground.  Then gently fork it in.  Perhaps wait a few days before planting/sowing.

Hope this helps.

10/02/2014 at 07:21

why not try to make a hot bed with it.

if you have a coldframe even better dig out about 10" and add the chicken manure to a depth of  6" and then add the soil back then place you pots seed trays back in, heat while it's rotting down.

Clueless

10/02/2014 at 07:58

Good idea clueless.  

10/02/2014 at 08:06

Bump re spam

11/02/2014 at 09:59

Thank you for the seaweed tips! And yours on chicken manure Mike. Based on Verdun's answers re: seaweed I might scatter some around the already budding crowns of my delphiniums before the slugs move in for the season! Clueless - LOVE the idea of making a hotbed. I have a coldframe so I may do just as you say.

Wonderful, you've all inspired me! When this rain/hurricane stops this afternoon here on the battered Hampshire coast I will get out there and get busy. Thanks so much

11/02/2014 at 10:36

The popular fertiliser nowadays is Chicken manure pellets - not fresh chicken manure which is a very different thing and should be kept away from plants when fresh - sorry to disagree with Mike there  (unless I'm misunderstanding him).  

Compost your chicken manure before using or make a hotbed!  After you've finished using the hotbed for raising seedlings plant your courgette and squash plants on it 

email image
18 messages