London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
2 messages
05/10/2013 at 11:03

I have a chilean bell flower vine, in container outside ,which has flowered profusely throughout the summer.I am wondering what to do with it as winter approaches.Can I bring it indoors?I do not have a conservatory but have an unheated glass fronted nporch.The vine seems well established but I dont want to lose it to winter frosts.Any advice would be most welcome.                           

05/10/2013 at 23:21

Hello Rosie, did the flowers produce seeds? If so, you can plant them in the spring after soaking them for a couple of days in water and you will get new plants from them.

If not, then you are going to have to find a way of keeping the plant in a place that never freezes. It will need to be kept quite dry in a pot somewhere in the house. While it is in the pot you could try pinning one of the stems down into the compost and a new plant may take root from that.

Or, if you have a friend with a greenhouse, you could beg a space for your pot plant in there maybe, with the promise of an offshoot next spring.

email image
2 messages