London (change)
Tue 13°C / 7°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
201 to 220 of 294 messages
12/05/2014 at 18:44

I am soo jealous of all your chilies!!! Mine are tiny what am I doing wrong?

12/05/2014 at 19:53
philippa smith2 wrote (see)

Jim............if it's any help, I am still using my Cayenne chillies from a bumper harvest in you, I grind a few at a time for Chilli powder.  What has surprised me is that I decided to use a few of the seeds from these pods this year just to see if they would germinate.  Lo and behold, they sprung up like good'uns

I always make my own Chilli sauce and paste..........I also like them with Ginger to spice up a Tomato sauce...........just right with Leek and Goat's Cheese Tart.

I agree that you always need fresh as well as dried.  Not come across Chilli Jelly do you do that ?  Like Redcurrant jelly maybe ?

Jeepers that must have been some bumper harvest. They're old enough to be doing their A' Levels.

Mmm. Leak and Goat's Cheese Tart sounds wonderful. 

Here's the recipe I use:

150 gram(s) long red chilli pepper (deseeded and cut into 4 pieces)
150 gram(s) red peppers (cored, deseeded and cut into rough chunks)
1 kilogram(s) jam sugar
600 ml cider vinegar

Sterilize your jars and leave to cool.
Put the cut-up chillies into a food processor and pulse until they are finely chopped. Add the chunks of red pepper and pulse again until you have a vibrantly red-flecked processor bowl.
Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar in a wide, medium-sized pan over a low heat without stirring.
Scrape the chilli-pepper mixture out of the bowl and add to the pan. Bring the pan to the boil, then leave it at a rollicking boil for 10 minutes.
Take the pan off the heat and allow it cool. The liquid will become more syrupy, then from syrup to viscous and from viscous to jelly-like as it cools.
After about 40 minutes, or once the red flecks are more or less evenly dispersed in the jelly (as the liquid firms up, the hints of chilli and pepper start being suspended in it rather than floating on it), ladle into your jars. If you want to stir gently at this stage, it will do no harm. Then seal tightly.

It's a great basic recipe, I added an Indian Taka to it to make a great accompaniment to a curry and rice and I also made it using mint for a mint jelly. You could add anything to flavour it you can think of. Maybe not chips.

12/05/2014 at 20:15

OK Jim.......thanks for that.......I'm going to give that a try

Chips ?  Chips ???.............Wouldn't dream of despoiling my Chillies with Chips............tho I have heard of Takeaways which offer Curry and Chips.........what IS the world coming to ?

Leek and Goat Cheese Tart.......a winner in my book.  I know you didn't ask but just in case.............

1 kg of leeks..........chopped roughly and steamed until just tender.

Tip into bowl and add approx. 200 grammes Goat Cheese, 1 beaten egg and season with black pepper.

Pour into short crust pastry case and bake for half an hour or so at 180.

I love it with home made Tomato sauce

13/05/2014 at 16:31

Oooh! Thanks Philippa, I will definitely have a go at making that. 

I know, I think they like us at the local Indian Takeaway because we order rice and dhal with our main and don't order some of the weird English stuff they get asked for. Thanks.

07/07/2014 at 07:55

Foodie40 do you feed your flowering plants chilli focus? If not I reccomend it!!!

07/07/2014 at 07:58

Him for seeds try the south devon chilli farm their seeds are excellent 

08/07/2014 at 03:29

Wow Stacey. First time i have seen chilli focus. (I  HAD TO GOOGLE IT) What is in it and why is it so different from lets say Tomorite????

19/07/2014 at 19:43

Have some chillis in the fridge that are giving to be used for cooking. If I save the seeds have I missed the season or will they over winter ok for next year?

19/07/2014 at 19:49

Bit late to sow chilli seeds now but always worth a go.  Also depends which F1 won't necessarily come true from seed.  If you want to save the seeds, make sure they are dried from the pulp and then store in paper bag until Spring.

19/07/2014 at 20:30
Edd chilli focus is the best for them it is more specific than tomato food I think it has higher phosphates but don't quote me I thee my bottle to compare out last week!!!
05/03/2015 at 09:01

I've been reading all this thread and bumped it back up for chilli growers 

05/03/2015 at 09:59
thanks kef this just pinged up on my email so I thought I would add a bit lol..... My chilli growing has gone manic this year with the inclusion of hydroponics and grow lights... Did you know the average t5 kitchen light can assist in your growing... My chilli collection has also exploded and now includes rare wild varieties like Galapoganese which is a furry beauty and even the leaves smell..I am also growing a not yet released to the general public seed for a potential record breaking hot chilli... This is its 2nd year being grown and I am honoured to be trusted by its developer to grow it.. I would post my grow list but I fear I would have to admit to my obsession.... Would love to hear what you are all growing .......
05/03/2015 at 10:00
Oh and on a footnote this years holiday for me is to the Norfolk chilli farm to help the owner pot up lmao!!! Can't wait
05/03/2015 at 10:53

This year I'm growing Cherry Bomb, Orange Habanero, Red Scotch Bonnet, Yellow Scotch Bonnet, Cayenne, Numex Twilight, Joe's Long, Serenade, Apache, Ring of Fire, as well as some sweet peppers.

Some of them have come from self-saved seeds from previous years, so I won't be surprised to see some hybrids that have come from cross-pollination while growing together in the greenhouse.

05/03/2015 at 11:22

I've just noticed mine have germinated in 4 days on a heated bench. 

Saved seed my daughter sent me . No idea on variety. Tiny thin one only about 2cm long

05/03/2015 at 11:30

Hi Stacey, sounds like a bus man's holiday

Cayenne, Little Elf, Anaheim, Willy 

Sweet peppers California Wonder & Corno di Toro Rosso.

05/03/2015 at 11:37

Not-Entirely-Scotch-Bonnet are germinating well, as are my FireCrackers. Impatiently waiting for the rest to show. No chilly w. this year owing to loosing the damned seed packets - every one of them!

Stacey: you must eat sleep dream chillies!!

05/03/2015 at 16:38

Clari if mine germinate and produce I'll let you have some for next year 

Chillis now in heated prop after a tea fix overnight 

05/03/2015 at 16:41
Ok well here's what's up of mine already I wish I could post pics but still can't!!!...
Basket of fire
Black naga
Pimente de espelette ( protected origin from Spain)
Aji fantasy
Aji lemon
Hj4 ( space chilli)
Hj9 ( space chilli)
Hj10( space chilli)
Bunte mischung
Boc x jigsaw
Bohemian goat
Pimenta puma
Satans kiss
Jigsaw x tmsb
Yellow ringo
Chocolate habanero
Boc x aji pineapple
And I still have 24 to sow lmao
05/03/2015 at 16:46
These have all germinated and most are growing strong a few need a bit attention. Lmao I bought a small polytunnel so!!!!! We are growing them for the sassy sauces rofl but I am dreaming of them atm!!!
201 to 220 of 294 messages