Start a new thread

201 to 220 of 274 replies

Stacey Docherty
Lol it's an addiction lmao I am very lucky that the chilli community has given me almost all of the seeds. I have been sent rare seeds from Sweden, outstanding seeds from Germany and new varieties from America.... The wild varieties are amazing and I love them. The galapagonese is furry and scented!!
Hostafan1

I'd love to grow more, but don't even know where to start. There are so many!!

Hostafan1

I'd love to make some tomato and chili chutney.

Stacey,I know you're uber busy, but might you be able to advice a good variety for chutney? ( not going into commercial production: honest  )

KEF

Stacey any chance of a photo at some time of a galapagonese? Dunno why I think of a dragon lizard 

I might be weird but rather than chilli jam recipes I'd fancy a lime chilli lime marmalade, I do know they aren't to have on your toast at brekkie...well maybe

Stacey Docherty
Kef I have lost the tool bar that allows me to post pics but will upload some tomorrow on the computer .... It's a stunner but can grow very large although the pods are small.....

Advertisement

I've only ever grown the bog standard French variety and fancy a change.Firstly looking for plants that will survive northern British climate; the lag in degree days at the start of the year and the excessive "go away sun I want to sleep" hours but not intensity of sunlight midsummer. I have a S facing windowsill for small bush form factor plants, though A.T.T. it's only double-glazed and can be draughty . I don't have the degree-days measurement to hand but it's only the end of February when the zenith is high enough to get direct incident light. I've a small greenhouse which  is unheated and will remain so and a S-facing patio (unsheltered) which can get really windy. I'm OK with taking large numbers of plants in the house to overwinter, germinate etc so can try out other members of the Capsicum genus. I'm looking for flavour and culinary range (no pickling, chutneys, jams though), not all out heat. If the patio/windowsill ones look good, that's merely a bonus as my garden looks like Cocky Hunter's anyway .

Stacey Docherty
Frank a lot of my friends are in the north and whilst a windowledge over a radiator does do nicely most of the other varieties do need 28??? optimum to germinate. There are a lot of chillis on my list that give an excellent flavour as most of them are grown for us to make powders to grow sauces. The aji lemon and fantasy range have a mild taste but amazing flavour. The pimente puma and espelette are excellent peppers rather than chillis... The jigsaw chilli to my mind has an amazing hear that's not over powering with a hint of citrus..... I would probably reccomend going for plants rather than seeds in ur situation. Not a plug for a business but there are lots of excellent suppliers of plugs... If u want to go down this route then check out the Norfolk chilli farm as he home grows all his plants with the best soil and start off nutrients. There are many other suppliers and this is not an advert for said chilli farm just a reccomendation for an excellent source to increase ur repertoire!!
KEF

Thanks for the picture/ link Chris 11 

Still fancy a nosey at what you grew Stacey

Stacey Docherty
Chris ring of fire is good as is basket of fire... And they overwinter well... Supe chilli and Apache are also an excellent plant

I've got a small tray of Ring of Fire, Habanero chocolate, Scotch Bonnet And Cayenne germinated, Though as I said the Cayenne will do fine I didn't do much research on the suitability for the climate and passive-only heat of the others. I don't heat the place but they germinated fine on top of the fridge with a 50mm polyiso box k=0.023 W·/(m.K).over the top. 

Sweet peppers never come to anything here but I've germinated some Marconi Red and I'll see how the greenhouse repairs perform.

Chris 11

I think the other three varieties Stacey mentions are all F1s, and nothing wrong with that unless you also want to have a go at seed saving and getting some more predictable results.

I don't think Ring of Fire is an F1 and I'm growing it from seeds saved from last year.

There's a good reason for Cayenne being popular, and cheaply and widely available so that's another good beginners / cooler conditions variety. It's also not an F1, and closely related to Ring of Fire.

Such a fantastic source of information for a novice chilli grower - thank you!

Stacey Docherty
Jennie7 sany questions please just shout.... Kef tried to upload from the Mac but it would appear all apple devices on iOS 7+ are not compatable ..... If u want to email me ur address I will happily email you some as I am well proud of them.... I have just put in my final 30 yesterday. These include some very very rare wild varieties and a farmers market jalepeno which I love lol

Advertisement

KEF

Stacey sorry about the delay in replying.

I will PM you, would love to see them 

No show from my Little Elf and Willy as yet. Cayenne and Anaheim have germinated.

Stacey Docherty
Lol pic sent but that's just a small piece of it rofl... Take a look at aero pots on ebay well worth the ?? for all plants my lupins germinated in 24 hours
KEF

Thanks Stacey  

I have a question about my chilies, and was referred here by KEF. 

I've got several varieties under lights in the cellar, and they're been doing fine. I have Jalapeño, Habanero, Cayenne and Tabasco. Now, just in recent days, on the Jalapeño only, there is something bad happening with the leaves. They're curling a bit, and there's sort of deposit on the underside of the leaves. Well, it looks like a deposit, but I can't scrape it off.

Any clue about what's going on or how to fix it would be much appreciated. I can't seem to upload pictures, but here are some links:

General Picture

Leaf underside

KEF

Stacey where are you ? Help needed here