London (change)
Today 23°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 13°C
201 to 210 of 210 messages
12/05/2014 at 18:44

I am soo jealous of all your chilies!!! Mine are tiny what am I doing wrong?

12/05/2014 at 19:53
philippa smith2 wrote (see)

Jim............if it's any help, I am still using my Cayenne chillies from a bumper harvest in 1996...........like you, I grind a few at a time for Chilli powder.  What has surprised me is that I decided to use a few of the seeds from these pods this year just to see if they would germinate.  Lo and behold, they sprung up like good'uns

I always make my own Chilli sauce and paste..........I also like them with Ginger to spice up a Tomato sauce...........just right with Leek and Goat's Cheese Tart.

I agree that you always need fresh as well as dried.  Not come across Chilli Jelly tho..........how do you do that ?  Like Redcurrant jelly maybe ?

Jeepers that must have been some bumper harvest. They're old enough to be doing their A' Levels.

Mmm. Leak and Goat's Cheese Tart sounds wonderful. 

Here's the recipe I use:

Ingredients

150 gram(s) long red chilli pepper (deseeded and cut into 4 pieces)
150 gram(s) red peppers (cored, deseeded and cut into rough chunks)
1 kilogram(s) jam sugar
600 ml cider vinegar

Method

Sterilize your jars and leave to cool.
Put the cut-up chillies into a food processor and pulse until they are finely chopped. Add the chunks of red pepper and pulse again until you have a vibrantly red-flecked processor bowl.
Dissolve the sugar in the vinegar in a wide, medium-sized pan over a low heat without stirring.
Scrape the chilli-pepper mixture out of the bowl and add to the pan. Bring the pan to the boil, then leave it at a rollicking boil for 10 minutes.
Take the pan off the heat and allow it cool. The liquid will become more syrupy, then from syrup to viscous and from viscous to jelly-like as it cools.
After about 40 minutes, or once the red flecks are more or less evenly dispersed in the jelly (as the liquid firms up, the hints of chilli and pepper start being suspended in it rather than floating on it), ladle into your jars. If you want to stir gently at this stage, it will do no harm. Then seal tightly.

It's a great basic recipe, I added an Indian Taka to it to make a great accompaniment to a curry and rice and I also made it using mint for a mint jelly. You could add anything to flavour it you can think of. Maybe not chips.

12/05/2014 at 20:15

OK Jim.......thanks for that.......I'm going to give that a try

Chips ?  Chips ???.............Wouldn't dream of despoiling my Chillies with Chips............tho I have heard of Takeaways which offer Curry and Chips.........what IS the world coming to ?

Leek and Goat Cheese Tart.......a winner in my book.  I know you didn't ask but just in case.............

1 kg of leeks..........chopped roughly and steamed until just tender.

Tip into bowl and add approx. 200 grammes Goat Cheese, 1 beaten egg and season with black pepper.

Pour into short crust pastry case and bake for half an hour or so at 180.

I love it with home made Tomato sauce

13/05/2014 at 16:31

Oooh! Thanks Philippa, I will definitely have a go at making that. 

I know, I think they like us at the local Indian Takeaway because we order rice and dhal with our main and don't order some of the weird English stuff they get asked for. Thanks.

07/07/2014 at 07:55

Foodie40 do you feed your flowering plants chilli focus? If not I reccomend it!!!

07/07/2014 at 07:58

Him for seeds try the south devon chilli farm their seeds are excellent 

Edd
08/07/2014 at 03:29

Wow Stacey. First time i have seen chilli focus. (I  HAD TO GOOGLE IT) What is in it and why is it so different from lets say Tomorite????

Regards

Edd.

19/07/2014 at 19:43

Have some chillis in the fridge that are giving to be used for cooking. If I save the seeds have I missed the season or will they over winter ok for next year?

19/07/2014 at 19:49

Bit late to sow chilli seeds now but always worth a go.  Also depends which chilli...........an F1 won't necessarily come true from seed.  If you want to save the seeds, make sure they are dried from the pulp and then store in paper bag until Spring.

19/07/2014 at 20:30
Edd chilli focus is the best for them it is more specific than tomato food I think it has higher phosphates but don't quote me I thee my bottle to compare out last week!!!
email image
201 to 210 of 210 messages