London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 13°C
161 to 180 of 210 messages
31/03/2014 at 22:13

Should I put them in the GH Stacey?  The windowsill they are on is the sunniest in the house, it gets sun all day from about 11am (when the sun is out!!) as it is at the back of the house. .

Still disappointed that I failed to germinate some though 

01/04/2014 at 13:06

It happens some of mine failed.... Could be too dry too wet tricky little blighters at times.... When they get at least 4/5 true leaves then repot and move look at mid-end of april

02/04/2014 at 19:37
I now have some good healthy looking plants in 3 inch pots on my windowsill. What now? I have a poly tunnel. Can I plant them straight into the border?
02/04/2014 at 20:53

Oooh, excited for mid-April Stacey  I'm feeling a bit more positive about them now 

04/04/2014 at 20:10

Barbara how many leaves do they have? As I have said 4/5 leaves is always best. Are you planting straight into the poly tunnel( jealous!!!)? What are temperatures like in there at the moment?

06/04/2014 at 22:40
Most now are about 5ins high. The biggest ones are now in a small greenhouse which is a bit warmer at night. I hadn't thought about night temps in the polytunnel but they are probably too low.
07/04/2014 at 09:19

That's great Barbara, mine are about 2 inches high and I am trying to be patient before repotting them....on Stacey's advice  

Last night. I spoke my dad (a rare occasion!) who a few years ago told me how hard chillies are to grow and put me off, last night I told him I had loads of seedlings and suddenly they are the easiest plant to grow.....they will grow in the seed packet if you let them!!!!  Yes he does know nothing about everything!!!

07/04/2014 at 09:49

Ha ha! Sounds like my father. Whatever I do he's already done and of course did it better or its not worth doing. Always has been like this - I used to wonder what the point in every trying anything was growing up! Wasn't til I met my partners parents that I was overwhelmed with support and encouragement to do things! Fathers are odd devils sometimes. Just remind yourself that you ARE too old to be put across his knee and CAN tell him he's wrong now!

Our heating isn't on any more and I'm panicking that its too cold INSIDE THE HOUSE for them much less wondering whether to get them in the green house or even outdoors!! I was one step off filling the electric propagator with sand and putting them in that with the lid off to give them a bit of a boost.

Lots of mine seem to be happily sat with just their two leaves not doing much at all. I think they're shy

07/04/2014 at 10:58

I've never grown chillies before, and mine are doing quite well, but just wondered Stacey, do I have to pinch out the sideshoots like on tomatoes?  And does anyone know if that's the case with cucumbers?

07/04/2014 at 13:48

Not with chillies no ... As for cucumbers I can't comment I'm afraid!

07/04/2014 at 13:55

http://www.bbc.co.uk/gardening/basics/techniques/growfruitandveg_growingcucumbers1.shtml

I needed to know that too Bee so have just had a quick google.  BBC do some really useful articles and this explains it quite well.  I am printing it and keeping it with my garden notes  Hope it helps. X

07/04/2014 at 14:06

Thanks OL!  I think that all looks fairly idiot-proof (which it needs to be for me).  Only idiotic thing I did of course was plant them too early!  Horrified I can't get them out in the greenhouse till the end of May!  Think I will put them out earlier if it looks like it's going to frost and buy myself a heater if there's a last minute emergency.  Thanks re: the chillies Stacey.  I am also growing bell peppers so presume they will be the same.

07/04/2014 at 14:11

LOL Bee, I hope they are idiot proof, I'm growing them too.  In fact I've just been making a list and it's actually quite scary how much I'm growing and how fast the list has grown!!!

08/04/2014 at 19:06

Lol orchid ur addicted lmao

08/04/2014 at 23:12

I think I may be Stacey, I'm just wondering where I am going to put 6 cucumbers, 9 tomatoes, 50+ chillies, 5 squash, however many sprouts germinate etc etc.....veg soup anyone?? 

I think I need a bigger GH LOL!!!!

10/04/2014 at 18:21

Lol yeah I have that problem... If u have a glut if small chilli plants go to a boot fair they sell like hot cakes!!! We made £120 one year just selling what we didn't want!!

10/04/2014 at 18:44

That's a good idea Stacey, I am thinking if donating some for the Beagle Welfare annual fundraising walk  How much would you sell small ones for?

12/04/2014 at 19:36

Evening chilli fans 

Stacey, or others, my last years chilli has flowers again  Do I need to do a bit of paintbrush action from one flower to another, or should I leave alone? The plant is on my kitchen window ledge 

Thanks x

13/04/2014 at 15:37

I gave my sis and my best friend some of my chillies yesterday, potted them 4 in square pots, they were made up 

I'm thinking I might put the rest in bigger pots later, some of the Cherry Bomb have got 5 leaves now and getting quite big. The others are still quite small though.

13/04/2014 at 18:01

I have put mine out now in my new cloche...

161 to 180 of 210 messages