Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

chillies---hungarian-hot-wax

NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,813

The chillies are 5 inches long and light green and seem to have stopped growing

? Will they turn red or can I pick them now when they are green

Advice please

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Letting them mature will give you their full kick. They need decent warmth to hasten the ripening process.

• Let them mature on the plant they will have stopped growing to ripen. Unless you want to bake them( I use green ones to stuff with cheese and bake or to  tempura!) and as italophile says the longer on the plant will help their scoville rating as they are quite varied......

• XX Posts: 707

Mine are turning red slowly in the greenhouse, going to pick them and freeze them.  Plants are starting to look a bit ropey though, think they've done their job.

• NewBoy2NewBoy2 Posts: 1,813

Thanks all as usual

Temperature a few weeks ago in the conservatory was 30 degrees

One is just going pink and as I like it hot I will wait

I picked one a few days ago and that was very hot !!

http://ushotstuff.com/Heat.Scale.htm

Mine are Hungarian Hot Wax

Everyone is just trying to be Happy.....So lets help Them.
  • Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

Apache are hot enough for me. I've lost most of the labels this year but recognise that one. I've also a pale green one, tapered and about 3.5 inches long. Not a hint of it turning black. Do all chillies/peppers go black before red? 

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Different varieties go through various colours, Zoomer. Some ripen as green.

• Zoomer most don't go black first unless its a black variety I have black pearl and purple riot however the flowers are usually purple for black varieties....

• If anyone child any chilli seeds let me know I have quite a few( more than I'm going to grow)

• Judith 5Judith 5 Posts: 108

I have grown Hungarian Hot Wax for the first time and the chillis are very mild. Never had a chilli before that you can eat raw, even the one that have gone red. The name is a bit misleading.