16 messages
27/10/2013 at 18:36

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/33135.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

I planted this chrysanth last year, and bought it a a fiver from the garden centre as it was dying off, but still produced a great display. It was a dark orange when I bought it, nothing out of the ordinary that would leave me to believe it has been dyed, and it was added to our front border, where it has put on a great show this year - see photo!  The only thing is that it has come back with 3 seperate colours, HOW?  Whats happened here - I'm not disappointed as its a lovely plant but was this dyed originally?  

27/10/2013 at 18:38

PS, you can also see the Cosmos planted from GW seed on the left - this however turned out to be pink rather than white...

27/10/2013 at 18:43

When it's finished flowering you should have a look in there and see if it's all one plant. Very interesting. I know heathers get dip dyed and some (maybe all) white plants can suck up dye but what you report here seems quite unusual to me

27/10/2013 at 18:51

Hi Nutcutlet - yes I thought maybe if a white plant, however, at present this all appears to be coming from one root -  until, as you say though I can have a proper rummage around it's difficult to tell... It's the cosmos that interests me too - all the ones in the back garden have turned out white, as they should be!  I did sift soil in these borders from the back garden with some compost mixed in in october 2012... but everything has excelled in here this year from bulbs to later 'adds'.    

27/10/2013 at 18:59

Cosmos saved frommby own white seed was predominantly pink GM but you'd expect seed companies to be on top of that one

27/10/2013 at 19:02

one rogue seed among the packet probably?

27/10/2013 at 19:13

A lot of pot plants are not one cutting. I have a gardenia that is actually three plants. I have seen a lot of crysanths in large pots that are actually three or four  in there.

27/10/2013 at 19:23

Thanks all, as I say I'm not disappointed, however, the change in colour from one year to the next interests me... how can one plant 'become' three!  

27/10/2013 at 19:25

The cosmos were the Gardeners World Givaways last year BTW... all supposed to be white lol! 

27/10/2013 at 22:54

That is beautiful like

28/10/2013 at 16:56

I have exactly the same but mine is total colour transformation, I bought a yellow hardy chrysanth and this year its identical to the pink one in your photo.

28/10/2013 at 16:59

Also had one pink cosmos amogst the purity seeds from GW Garden Maniac,Mum had the same.

28/10/2013 at 20:38

Lol! obviously the GW seeds were all successful!! Great to hear and glad I planted so many of them!  Thanks for the replies!  dean alex, interesting though - this is baffling me! 

28/10/2013 at 20:42
Gardengirl.. wrote (see)

That is beautiful like

Thanks Garden Girl - as I say, I'm not disappointed, just curious!  It is lovely though! 

28/10/2013 at 22:30

Incidently I sowed a mix of veronica's this year and planted 3 seeds to a pot, the plants then flowered with different colours on what apeared to be the same bush but were actually 3 different plants growing from next to each other. But that doesnt explain the colour change in our chrysanths! I have heard of temperature changing petal colours before but not this radically. Interesting that you have both of the exact varieties I have/had. The yellow one you have is what I bought last year and the pink/purple one is what it evolved into this year. I know its not a mix up because I only have one hardy chrysanthemum and its in the same pot as last year!

17/12/2013 at 21:06

Hi all - now the plant is dying off have examined the root and plant structure - it seems there may be 2 plants (without digging it up I can't investigate further) in the same pot - but that doesn't account for 3 colours / different colours to the original.  I celebrate it's difference and it has caused us much discussion!  It's lovely and I feel there are other users that have experienced the same... I'm tending to call it value for money, lol!  ( given a harsh winter it may kill it off...

email image
16 messages