Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Chrysanthemums...

I planted this chrysanth last year, and bought it a a fiver from the garden centre as it was dying off, but still produced a great display. It was a dark orange when I bought it, nothing out of the ordinary that would leave me to believe it has been dyed, and it was added to our front border, where it has put on a great show this year - see photo!  The only thing is that it has come back with 3 seperate colours, HOW?  Whats happened here - I'm not disappointed as its a lovely plant but was this dyed originally?  

• PS, you can also see the Cosmos planted from GW seed on the left - this however turned out to be pink rather than white...

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

When it's finished flowering you should have a look in there and see if it's all one plant. Very interesting. I know heathers get dip dyed and some (maybe all) white plants can suck up dye but what you report here seems quite unusual to me

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Hi Nutcutlet - yes I thought maybe if a white plant, however, at present this all appears to be coming from one root -  until, as you say though I can have a proper rummage around it's difficult to tell... It's the cosmos that interests me too - all the ones in the back garden have turned out white, as they should be!  I did sift soil in these borders from the back garden with some compost mixed in in october 2012... but everything has excelled in here this year from bulbs to later 'adds'.    

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Cosmos saved frommby own white seed was predominantly pink GM but you'd expect seed companies to be on top of that one

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • SingySingy Posts: 206

one rogue seed among the packet probably?

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

A lot of pot plants are not one cutting. I have a gardenia that is actually three plants. I have seen a lot of crysanths in large pots that are actually three or four  in there.

• Thanks all, as I say I'm not disappointed, however, the change in colour from one year to the next interests me... how can one plant 'become' three!  

• The cosmos were the Gardeners World Givaways last year BTW... all supposed to be white lol! 

• Gardengirl..Gardengirl.. Posts: 4,172

That is beautiful like

Hampshire Gardener
  • I have exactly the same but mine is total colour transformation, I bought a yellow hardy chrysanth and this year its identical to the pink one in your photo.