Forum home Plants
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Clematis - Daniel Deronda - odd coloured flower

DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

A few days someone posted that their clematis had produced unusual greenish flowers - I can't find that thread  but have just noticed that my Clematis Daniel Deronda (planted 3 years ago) has produced this bloom as its first of the season.

I know some white clematis have a tendency to produce green flowers, but I've not seen Daniel Deronda do this before.

Anyone any idea why?

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• WonkyWombleWonkyWomble Posts: 4,538

Dove, I think that's gorgeous! It does look exotic Amy! I think I would have my fingers crossed that they all bloomed like that! image

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

It's caused by that cold snap we had while the flower buds were initiating. Now it's getting warmer they should revert to type.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Ah thanks Fidget - that explains it image  I'm a curious person - always wanting to know why image

DD isn't my favourite clematis, but this one was a retirement present from a young person I was involved with through my work - she loves purple :)

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.