London (change)
Today 20°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
8 messages
19/06/2012 at 09:30

I've bought a Clematis florida sieboldii which is in a very small pot and the poor thing needs planting out.

I'm sure I read somewhere that clematis benifit from being planted really deeply. Is this correct?

If so is it ok to bury some of the new growth at the base of the plant (there is quite a lot of young leaves at the base)?

Many thanks

Anna

19/06/2012 at 10:12

Generally speaking, yes, they do need planting deeply. And burying the new young growth will do it no harm.  Just be careful not to damage the new shoots when backfilling the hole.

19/06/2012 at 11:34

Yes, plant about 6" deeper than in the current pot.

Don't be alarmed next spring when your clematis appears to be dead long after all others have come into growth - they are very late in coming into leaf.

19/06/2012 at 15:05

Depending on where you are Sieboldii can be a bit tender. A beautiful one non the less.

28/07/2012 at 18:03

I've earmarked this one - though I wasn't going to buy one until (if!) we have moved.  But I see there's a special offer by GW, and I'm so tempted to buy & keep it in a pot until I can plant it out.  Is that a plan?  Or madness?

28/07/2012 at 18:30
Shrinking Violet wrote (see)

I've earmarked this one - though I wasn't going to buy one until (if!) we have moved.  But I see there's a special offer by GW, and I'm so tempted to buy & keep it in a pot until I can plant it out.  Is that a plan?  Or madness?

I suspect the one on offer will be a large plug.  When I buy those, I pot them on anyway so they can grow a good root system before planting, so my advice would be to go for it and pot it up into as deep a pot as you have (I normally use ones with about 5" diameter but about 8" deep.)

28/07/2012 at 21:12

I grow two permanently in large pots and they're doing well, so there should be no issues.

03/08/2012 at 21:34

Thank you for your encouragement.  (Exit stage right waving cheque in one hand . . . )

email image
8 messages